Lead Full Stack Engineer
Arlington, VA /
SpanishDict is on a mission to bring free, high-quality reference and educational products to every Spanish-English learner in the world. We’ve built the Internet’s most comprehensive database of Spanish-English translations and conjugations, and combined it with fun, interactive practice activities to help people learn vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and conversational skills. Every year, more than 100 million people improve their Spanish or English on SpanishDict, making it the world’s largest Spanish-English learning website. We are looking for a full stack lead engineer to join our team.
What types of projects do we work on?
- We rebuilt SpanishDict’s website, one of the top 200 most popular mobile sites in the U.S., to dramatically improve the time to start render, especially in Latin America
- We developed a pipeline for authoring pronunciations, recording videos, and displaying them on the website using React, AWS Lambda, and AWS S3
- We built conjugation drills backed by our dictionary using a complex algorithm to evenly distribute verbs with React, Node.js, and MySQL
- We built our own classroom learning management system, which allows teachers to assign lessons and track student progress
- We launched SpanishDict Premium, which offers exclusive content and features for our most dedicated learners
- We deployed a high-availability, automated, and scalable server infrastructure on AWS with an uptime of more than 99.999% last year
What will you be doing?
- Full stack web development using technologies like Node.js, React, Express, SQL, AWS, and Docker
- Building educational tools to help SpanishDict become the primary learning product for Spanish-English learners.
- Mentoring teammates, iterating and upholding best practices, and leading the technical success of high value features
- Helping shape product requirements by providing technical expertise
What are we looking for in an engineer?
- Thoughtful problem-solving: You can decompose complex problems and work towards a clean and practical solution, by yourself or with teammates. You know what resources to use when you have questions, and you know when to ask for help when you get stuck.
- Experienced on the backend: You understand all levels of the stack and understand how they work together. Candidates should have experience building APIs, data models, and working with SQL. Familiarity with AWS is a bonus.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about the business impact of what you're building, and you prioritize projects accordingly. You are not just going after new shiny technology —you understand the balance between perfection, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and how it shapes our Spanish and English learners.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you are explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
What’s the culture like?
- We’ve brought together a talented team that is down-to-earth, friendly, and driven to build products that people use and love.
- Our technology stack is state-of-the-art, and we pride ourselves on an engineering culture committed to data-informed decisions, focus on value, rapid iteration, broad test coverage, extensive automation, peer-reviewed code, and fast deployments.
- Software drives our business, and we understand the value of having time for engineers to focus on technical priorities.
- With fewer than 25 people in the company, every engineer on the team has a huge impact across millions of users and very low barriers to getting things done.
- We are remote friendly. We use video calls to communicate. Our employees are concentrated in Arlington, VA but our full team is distributed throughout the US and the World.