Senior Software Engineer - Ads
SpanishDict is on a mission to bring free, high-quality reference and educational products to every Spanish-English learner in the world. We’ve built the Internet’s most comprehensive database of Spanish-English translations and conjugations, and combined it with fun, interactive practice activities to help people learn vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and conversational skills. Every year, more than 100 million people improve their Spanish or English on SpanishDict, making it the world’s largest Spanish-English learning website. The site is free and ad supported, and we are looking for a senior full stack software engineer to help our Ads team solve some of our most pressing ad optimization challenges.
What types of projects do we work on?
- We developed a sophisticated header bidding setup to handle more than 500 million bids per day to maximize ad revenue
- We created a data analytics platform to process events from our ad system in realtime, at scale, using AWS Redshift and Looker
- We created a platform to allow users report ads with low quality
- We executed hundreds of A/B tests to identify optimal strategies within our ad stack
- We rebuilt SpanishDict’s website, one of the top 200 most popular mobile sites in the U.S., to dramatically improve the time to start render, especially in Latin America
- We deployed a high-availability, automated, and scalable server infrastructure on AWS with an uptime of more than 99.999% last year.
What will you be doing?
- Full stack web development using technologies like Node.js, React+Redux, SQL, AWS, and Docker
- Optimizing billions of ad impressions to maximize revenue while maintaining a high quality user experience
- Executing A/B tests to improve ad revenue performance
- Determining opportunities for growth by analyzing technical and ad performance data
- Tracking down and addressing ad quality problems to ensure a great user experience
- Helping improve the performance of the entire SpanishDict website
What are we looking for in an engineer?
- 5+ years of professional web application development experience.
- Knowledge of Node, React, AWS, and SQL, or the ability to learn them quickly
- Experience with techniques for optimizing web page speed
- Passion for troubleshooting large complex systems
- Kindness, creativity, and maturity
- Experience with ads is nice to have, but not required
What’s the culture like?
- We’ve brought together a talented team that is down-to-earth, friendly, and driven to build products that people use and love.
- Our technology stack is state-of-the-art, and we pride ourselves on an engineering culture committed to data-informed decisions, focus on value, rapid iteration, broad test coverage, extensive automation, peer-reviewed code, and fast deployments.
- With fewer than 25 people in the company, every engineer on the team has a huge impact across millions of users and very low barriers to getting things done.
What are the perks?
- Competitive salary and amazing benefits
- Stock options
- 401(k) contributions
- Fully-paid health insurance
- Work-from-home days
- A budget for conferences and classes
- All-you-can-eat snacks and drinks
- Free Lunch Fridays
- We are located in Rosslyn, VA, and enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the Potomac River