Senior Software Engineer - Manager
SpanishDict is on a mission to bring free, high-quality reference and educational products to every Spanish-English learner in the world. We’ve built the Internet’s most comprehensive database of Spanish-English translations and conjugations, and combined it with fun, interactive practice activities to help people learn vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and conversational skills. Every year, more than 100 million people improve their Spanish or English on SpanishDict, making it the world’s largest Spanish-English learning website. We are looking for a full stack senior software engineer to join our team to improve our site and to help manage and grow our employees.
What types of projects do we work on?
- We rebuilt SpanishDict’s website, one of the top 200 most popular mobile sites in the U.S., to dramatically improve the time to start render, especially in Latin America
- We developed a pipeline for authoring pronunciations, recording videos, and displaying them on the website using React, AWS Lambda, and AWS S3
- We built a vocabulary feature backed by our dictionary using React, Redux, Node and MySQL
- We created a data analytics platform to process events from our ads and vocabulary feature in realtime, at scale, using AWS Redshift and Looker
- We containerized our services using ECS, and added infrastructure to automatically deploy to staging
- We deployed a high-availability, automated, and scalable server infrastructure on AWS with an uptime of more than 99.999% last year
What will you be doing?
- Full stack web development using technologies like Node.js, React+Redux, Express, SQL, AWS, and Docker.
- Managing 3+ employees. Coaching employees to ensure individual performance and velocity, and providing guidance on career and professional development.
- Enhancing the website by adding new features to our reference pages and vocabulary learning platform.
- Helping shape product requirements by providing technical expertise.
What are we looking for in an engineer?
- 5+ years of web application development experience.
- Experience managing 2+ engineers.
- Experience building UIs with modern tools like ES6, React, Redux, Prettier, and Webpack.
- Expert level understanding of SQL and/or Elasticsearch.
- Experience with AWS, Docker, and command-line scripting.
- Strong communications skills; ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests and recommend alternative technical and business approaches.
- Skilled problem solver with the desire and proven ability to create innovative solutions.
- Kindness, creativity, and maturity.
What’s the culture like?
- We’ve brought together a talented team that is down-to-earth, friendly, and driven to build products that people use and love.
- Our technology stack is state-of-the-art, and we pride ourselves on an engineering culture committed to data-driven decisions, focus on value, rapid iteration, broad test coverage, extensive automation, peer-reviewed code, and fast deployments.
- With fewer than 25 people in the company, every engineer on the team has a huge impact across millions of users and very low barriers to getting things done.
What are the perks?
- Competitive salary and amazing benefits
- Stock options
- 401(k) contributions
- Fully-paid health insurance
- Work-from-home days
- A budget for conferences and classes
- All-you-can-eat snacks and drinks
- Free Lunch Fridays
- We are located in Rosslyn, VA, and enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the Potomac River