Head of Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Executive Leadership /
CyberCube delivers the most comprehensive cyber insurance analytics platform for the insurance industry.
We are solely focused on solving the hardest cyber risk challenges with world-class analytics. Our team is composed of multi-disciplinary experts across data science, cyber security, software engineering, modeling and commercial insurance. CyberCube offers products for cyber risk aggregation modeling and insurance underwriting. CyberCube leverages the threat intelligence from the world’s leading cyber security company, Symantec, along with several other data sources.
CyberCube is headquartered in San Francisco, California. We are backed by ForgePoint Capital (the world’s largest venture capital fund dedicated to cyber security early stage investing), HSCM (premier insurance and insurtech investor) and Symantec Ventures.
We are looking for an exceptional person and technical leader to join the executive team of our rapidly growing Series B insuretech business in one of our most important leadership positions. The right candidate will be a world-class leader with distinctive experience in inspiring people leadership, building scalable global processes, and providing technical leadership to a data-driven cyber analytics platform that is changing the future of insurance.
CyberCube Engineering Background:
CyberCube has grown in the last 2 years from a team of 4 engineers to over 40 engineers split between the San Francisco Bay Area and Tallinn Estonia (two thirds, one-third split). We operate 7 simultaneous scrum teams across these locations including application development, platform development, data engineering, SRE. Our SaaS platform is 100% cloud-native utilizing a broad cross-section of AWS services. Increasingly we are transitioning from providing web-based SaaS to our global insurance industry clients to more platform and data services with direct API integrations into the environments of our clients and other third parties.
People Leadership Requirements:
- Must have
- An inspiring people leader that is able to attract, retain and excite exceptional engineers
- An ability to be a strategic thought partner to the executive leadership team of a rapidly growing start-up
- Fit with our cultural values including collaboration, transparency and getting things done
- A commitment to building diverse teams
- An ability to manage a distributed team across the globe (mindful of managing cultural and time zone differences)
- Nice to have
- Prior experience as a member of an executive team (CEO direct report)
Technical Leadership Requirements:
- Must have
- Extensive native public cloud engineering experience (AWS is a plus but gCloud and MSFT clouds work as well)
- Experience in compute- and data-heavy platform building (petabyte-scale data and building complex multi-source data lakes)
- Experience developing sophisticated B2B SaaS applications
- Nice to have
- Familiarity with the core technologies used by CyberCube today (see below)
- Experience working with demanding B2B development partner clients on technology integrations and establishing relationships as a long-term trusted partner
- Experience architecting and building proprietary data collection infrastructure
- Experience working in a data analytics intensive company
- Insuretech/Fintech experience
- Cybersecurity experience a plus
Ability to Build a Scalable Process Requirements:
- Must have
- Experience creating scalable processes of a rapidly growing organization
- Experience with setting up and overseeing core elements of a high performing engineering organization including design, development, automation, builds, deployment
- Demonstrated track record of performance management, including measuring quality and create realistic timelines; planning process; continuous grooming and deployment
- Nice to have
- Start-up scaling experience (Series B-D)
- Deep insight into Cloud - IAAS and PAAS (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- 6-8+ years’ experience designing and delivering large scale distributed systems (with at least 3-4 years on cloud services)
- Solid understanding of security/access control, scalability, and high availability
- Prior experience with database technologies (MongoDB, MYSQL, ES, SOLR, Cassandra)
- Prior experience with agile development, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Experience with large-scale, big data methods and data-driven architectures Strong, decisive self-starter with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Why You'll Love it Here
- Play an instrumental role in reshaping one of the oldest industries in the world
- Competitive salary, 4% match on 401(k), and unlimited PTO
- Meaningful early stage equity
- Generous healthcare benefits with medical, dental and vision coverage
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and Ugly Juice for your enjoyment
- Weekly catered lunches, happy hour, and discounted gym passes
- Company paid learning and development assistance
- Flexible working hours and the option to work from home when necessary
- Dependent care assistance plan
- Company supported mentorship program
- Grow in a collaborative, respectful, and empathetic culture
CyberCube Analytics, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We don’t tolerate discrimination against age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, protected genetic information or political affiliation.