Freeform Optical Design Engineer
Milton Keynes, UK
At DAQRI, our goal is to change the way the world works. Might seem lofty, but that’s what we work towards every day. We wholeheartedly believe that if you change the way people work, you change lives. But enough about us, let’s talk about you.
DAQRI Automotive is currently searching for a dynamic Freeform Optical Designer to lead the development of freeform design methods specific to holographic head-up displays for automotive applications, to deliver uniquely innovative automotive display systems.
We are looking for someone who has been keeping abreast with the range of freeform design methods that has evolved in recent years with improvements in manufacturing, metrology and optimization, and who has taken a keen interest in the potential directions in which to develop them further. The successful candidate will need to show an ability to discern the applicability of different freeform design methods against a variety of design requirements, and will be aware of the crossover potential from non-imaging freeform design techniques which have been adapted in more recent times to imaging applications.
- Required to assume a senior role within the optical design team, providing freeform optical solutions in response to the challenges of controlling image distortion, quality and size in optical systems which actively use windscreen surfaces as reflectors and have constricted cavity spaces, requiring novel and cutting-edge innovative design solutions.
- Will be required to provide a review of contemporary developments in optical freeform design, manufacturing and metrology, and indicate the optimum roadmap for adoption and research by DAQRI for its holographic display product development.
- Attend conferences worldwide to liaise with the optical design community to both represent DAQRI and to maintain awareness of the developments in freeform optical design techniques.
- Provide full report coverage of the design process: specification, tolerancing (mechanical / thermal), stray-light analysis, manufacturing plan, metrology plan, general quality planning, sourcing (development and management of supply base), drawing generation, liaison with opto-mechanical and commercial teams.
- Specify optical coating specifications where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & trouble shooting investigations
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- Expertise in Zemax optical design software, also in tandem with C++ or Matlab in increasing its freeform design capability.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels inside the customer’s organisation.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in leading client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues and addressing responsibilities.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Fluent in English.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- Solidworks experience beneficial.
- Experience in leading a team in an automotive environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience beneficial.
- Experience with electrical, optical, thermal & NVH systems beneficial.
DAQRI is the world’s leading enterprise augmented reality company powering the future of work through innovative hardware and software products. Its flagship product, DAQRI Smart Helmet, is improving efficiency and safety for workers on the job and providing unparalleled cost savings for Fortune 500 companies in industrial and manufacturing settings. DAQRI Automotive are building upon their first generation of laser holographic head up displays as integrated into Jaguar Land Rover vehicle lines in model year 2015.