Senior Optical Designer
At DAQRI, our goal is to change the way the world works. Might seem lofty, but that’s what we work towards every day. We wholeheartedly believe that if you change the way people work, you change lives.
DAQRI Automotive is currently searching for an Optical Designer to participate in the development of design methods specific to holographic head-up displays for automotive applications, in order to deliver uniquely innovative automotive display systems.
We are looking for an optical designer with freeform imaging experience that is up to date with the latest design methods that has evolved in recent years with improvements in manufacturing, optical materials, metrology and optimization, and who has taken a keen interest in the potential directions in which to develop them further. The successful candidate will need to show an ability to discern the applicability of different freeform design methods where necessary against a variety of design requirements, and will be aware of the crossover potential from non-imaging freeform design techniques which have been adapted in more recent times to imaging applications.
- Required to assume a lead design role within the design team, including, but not limited to: optical layout including freeform and non-freeform design, definition of optical materials and coatings, modeling of solar load and management of stray light in response to the challenges of controlling image distortion, quality and size in optical systems, which actively use windscreen surfaces as reflectors and have constricted cavity spaces. Designing flexibility into an articulated 3D optical system will be necessary in order to adjust the optical paths within the cavity spaces which alter during the greater automotive design process.
- Provide full report coverage of the design process: specification, tolerancing (mechanical/thermal), stray-light analysis, manufacturing plan, metrology plan, general quality planning, sourcing (development and management of supply base), drawing generation, liaison with opto-mechanical and commercial teams.
- Develop optical coating specifications where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & troubleshooting investigations.
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- Expertise in Zemax optical design software, including macro-writing, sensitivity analysis and tolerancing and MATLAB interfacing.
- Ability to demonstrate mathematical (geometry and numerical) skills in a problem-solving approach to 3D layout challenges.
- Demonstrate active working knowledge of available optical coatings.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in participating in client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- Solidworks experience beneficial.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within and automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience beneficial.
- Experience with electrical, optical, thermal & NVH systems beneficial.
DAQRI is the world’s leading enterprise augmented reality company powering the future of work through innovative hardware and software products. Its flagship product, DAQRI Smart Helmet, is improving efficiency and safety for workers on the job and providing unparalleled cost savings for Fortune 500 companies in industrial and manufacturing settings. DAQRI Automotive is building upon their first generation of laser holographic head up displays as integrated into Jaguar Land Rover vehicle lines in model year 2015.