Chief Operating Officer
Executive Leadership – Executive Leadership
Darkstore is changing the way premier brands connect their products with customers through same-day and elevated delivery experiences nationwide. We are a venture backed, quickly growing company looking for an experienced Operations leader to play a pivotal role in growing and scaling the business.
Founded in 2017, Darkstore (www.darkstore.com) recognized the market’s insatiable appetite for super fast delivery, so we built an end to end solution that enables any brand and any retailer to offer an amazing direct to consumer customer experience with no capital investment. Darkstore has developed a technology platform that allows brands to offer same-day or standard fulfillment and delivery out of 160 urban fulfillment centers across the United States, all with just a single line of code. Orders are automatically routed to the fulfillment location that provides the lowest rate for the delivery. Darkstore’s management team is comprised of experienced technology and logistics executives.
What We’re Looking For:
The COO is a key member of the senior leadership team and reports to the CEO. S/he is responsible for developing the Operational vision for Darkstore, building a brand new function from the ground up and shaping the culture of the company. S/he will build and lead Operations for the company inclusive of: Finance, Strategy & Planning, and People Operations. This role functions as the operational counterpart to the CEO; and will provide leadership, guidance, direction and consistency to the organization at large. The role will collaborate closely with all functions of the company, including Product, Engineering, Sales, and Support.
What You’ll Do:
Create and set the foundational structure and strategy for which all company Operations functions will be built upon.
We’ll look to you to accelerate existing momentum from both venture investment and strategic partnerships to create a sophisticated and scalable operation, to drive a rapidly growing business to its next level of maturation with performance, efficiency and employee satisfaction in mind.
This includes ownership of:
Company Financials: Own the company P&L and lead the preparation and development of financial forecasts and financial statements, tracking our budget, and managing our accountant. This also includes responsibility to develop and implement framework for which all contracts are reviewed, approved, and managed in alignment with organizational goals and principles.
Strategy & Planning: Leverage data and analytics to inform the strategic planning for operational success, and the articulation of the Darkstore value proposition as the company continues to grow. Strategic planning will include develop and implement of monetization strategies with Product and Brand that will help us reach our revenue and sustainability goals.
Organizational Metrics and OKRs: Play a leadership role in partnership with the CEO on developing the company’s OKRs and priorities and effectively manage the organization to those priorities. Build accountability framework both within the company and between the company and board of directors and investors.
Investor Relations: Collaborate with Board and external stakeholders; effectively communicate clear company vision, mission and directive. Drive the content strategy and planning efforts for board meetings and external stakeholder interactions with consideration to company development and growth goals and Progress.
Organizational Assessment & Design: Educate, advise and work with functional leaders to develop organizational design, competency models, career pathing, employee engagement and retention, performance criteria and measurement, succession planning, talent reviews and change management. This includes developing role leveling across functions.
Compensation and Benefits: Develop and manage a competitive compensation program by designing pay structures, conducting cost analyses and effectively implementing improvements with consideration to evolving market dynamics. This includes developing compensation bands for the company and designing performance based compensation structure and incentives with consideration to equity and vesting schedules. Continually assess benefits and perks and recommend iterations rooted in cost benefit.
Culture and Employee Experience: Define core value principles for Darkstore team and integrate them into working life. Drive a culture that embodies Darkstore’s values that reward, promote and encourage high performance throughout the organization. Ensure cultural consistency as Darkstore grows and scales, and set up infrastructure to manage through change and maintain trust and transparency. Develop the strategy for how Darkstore shares core values through our work with customers, partners, investors, and the world.
Talent Acquisition and Development: Develop a talent strategy that aligns with our business needs and continues to drive a high performance culture. This includes performance management, talent reviews, and driving employee understanding of their impact on the company. Develop and scale the overall team and process for recruiting, including, candidate evaluation processes, interview best practices, candidate follow-up and recruiting KPIs.
Create and set the foundational structure and strategy for Operations which all talent, recruiting, and performance management will be built upon, including:
What You’ll Bring:
- BA/BS required. MBA a plus
- 10+ years combined related experience in Operations or related roles
- 5+ years as a top Operations Executive (COO, CEO, VP of Operations) or equivalent role in a tech startup or similar rapidly growing company. Ideal candidate will have experience transitioning an early stage company through a critical phase of high growth and scale.
- Passion for operating through metrics and OKRs with the ability to assess when to iterate on goal-setting
- Expertise in organizational and compensation design, ideally in a startup environment
- A proven track record of creating and implementing high-quality operational programs and strategies that can scale, with success at developing, managing, and integrating strategic solutions across various functional disciplines
- Ability to build from a blank slate organizational and people development practices, record of building strong teams and demonstrates empathy, a sense of urgency and attention to detail
- Possesses exceptional integrity and high ethical standards and is comfortable with creating systems of accountability
- Strong experience with change management with flexibility to adapt to the needs of a growing and changing organization
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, articulate and persuasive communicator including excellent presentation skills; analytical and problem solving abilities
What You’ll Get:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Equity in the form of Incentive Stock Options
- Unlimited paid time off Health/Dental/Vision Insurances
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- All of the equipment you’ll need to be successful Collaborative and fast-paced environment where the best ideas win