Fund Accountant (template)
Property Accounting /
About Darwin Homes
At Darwin Homes, we fundamentally believe that the rental experience is broken. Too often, property management—serving as the middleman between investors and residents—often means shoddy service, hidden fees, and inefficient processes that shortchange everybody involved.
Darwin was built to make residents' and owners' lives easier through an innovative ecosystem of technologies. We have created the best product in the market for residents to discover, tour, and lease their future home; and for owners to have complete peace of mind from our modern management and leasing services built around our core values of transparency and professionalism. Darwin Homes is the destination for single-family rental services for property owners and residents.
The Darwin Homes team is composed of a diverse set of alumni from DoorDash, Square, Facebook, Apple, LinkedIn, and other top technology companies. The founders and executive team have over 30+ years of combined experience in scaling disruptive technology and operations-focused businesses. Darwin Homes was backed by top Silicon Valley venture capital (Khosla, Fifth Wall) and was acquired by Pagaya Technologies, a publicly traded company, in early 2023. Pagaya is an AI/ML data technology company with offices in Tel Aviv, New York, and Austin.
Darwin Homes is growing fast and we're looking for a highly motivated, intelligent, and passionate Fund Accountant to join our team. We’re growing fast, and growth means the challenges we’ll work on together will change as we lead Darwin through new and different phases.
What You’ll Do
- Prepare month-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP and client/partner accounting policies.
- Provide detailed variance analysis such as MoM, QoQ, YoY, budget-to-actual, etc., and maintain accurate support schedules to clients, partners, and management.
- Record new SFR acquisitions according to closing statements and other pertinent documentation.
- Assist with annual audits and lender reporting requests/requirements.
- Reconcile material balance sheet accounts and maintain amortization schedules on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for month-end journal entries such as reclassifying, accruing, and amortizing property-related expenses such as taxes, insurance, HOAs, utilities, etc.
- Ensure GAAP-compliant capitalization policies are adhered to and within industry standards.
- Maintain Fixed Asset ledger and apply capitalization policy across the portfolio.
- Maintain depreciation schedules (useful lives, depreciation methods, asset type, etc.) and record depreciation journal entries accordingly.
- Properly record write-downs of properties such as insurance claim losses and dispositions/sales.
What You’ll Have
- 4+ years accounting experience.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (Excel) a must.
- Real estate or property management experience a plus.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail.
$70,000 - $90,000 a year