Data Science Manager
Chicago, United States /
Data Science – Data Science /
Dataiku allows enterprises to create value with their data in a human-centered way while breaking down silos and encouraging collaboration. One of the most unique characteristics of our product, Dataiku, is the breadth of its scope and the fact that it caters both to technical and non-technical users. With Dataiku, we aim to empower people through data and democratize data science.
Dataiku’s promise to our customers is to provide them with the software and support needed to accelerate their Data Science and Machine Learning maturity. Dataiku’s Data Science team is responsible for delivering on that promise.
As a Data Science Manager, you will oversee the work and career development of the Data Scientists within your team. While strong technical skills are needed to coach the members of your team appropriately, this is a people-management position first and foremost, and candidates should be motivated by that aspect of the job.
Dataiku will support the growth of the manager into their management responsibilities through ongoing professional training, the creation of communities of practice for new managers, and other initiatives currently being defined.
In this role you will:
- Serve as the direct manager for a team of 4-6 Data Scientists and Senior Data Scientists
- Oversee the staffing of the members of your team, ensuring that their work matches their career development aspirations insofar as possible
- Work with clients, account teams, and your team members to identify client needs, including project scoping and planning
- Oversee the technical quality of your team’s work, and ensure that it adheres to Dataiku’s expectations for excellence
- Coordinate with the leaders of other data science teams and customer account teams within your region to ensure that customer needs are being met
- Conduct performance reviews and lead compensation discussions with your team
- Support internal Dataiku teams with their Data Science needs as necessary
- Serve as a mentor to the team
You might be a good fit if you have:
- A passion for selflessly leading a team, and helping each member reach their career objectives
- Empathy for others and an eagerness to share your knowledge and expertise with your colleagues, Dataiku’s customers, and the general public
- 5+ years of experience with R or Python
- 5+ years of experience with predictive modeling. Familiarity with data visualization in Python or R
- 3+ years of experience managing a large team of Data Scientists
- Understanding of relational data structures and SQL
- Experience using enterprise data science tools
Bonus points for any of these:
- Experience with Consulting and/or Customer-facing Data Science roles
- Experience with Data Engineering or MLOps
- Experience with cloud infrastructures, especially Kubernetes
- Passion for teaching or public speaking
To fulfill its mission, Dataiku is growing fast! In 2019, we achieved unicorn status, doubled in size and opened new offices across the globe. 2020 looked no different as we announced a $100 million Series D in August! We are now more than 600 Dataikers globally. Spanning from Sydney to Frankfurt, Denver to London, geography (and remote work) doesn’t stop Dataikers from working closely together and sharing experiences. Collaboration is key within our product and culture. We strive to create a sense of belonging and community while fostering diverse thinking by encouraging cross-team, cross-office interactions like our annual company offsite or Paris onboarding. Fly over to Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram to read stories about our culture, people, and success.
Our practices are rooted in the idea that everyone should be treated with dignity, decency and fairness. Dataiku also believes that a diverse identity is a source of strength and allows us to optimize across the many dimensions that are needed for our success. Therefore, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment practices are based on business needs, without regard to race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, veteran status or any other aspect which makes an individual unique or protected by laws and regulations in the locations where we operate. This applies to all policies and procedures related to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, performance, promotion and termination and all other conditions and terms of employment.