Course Author - Cloud (AWS or Azure) - Fully-Remote, Worldwide
San Francisco /
Contract - Remote
Dataquest is an interactive online learning platform for data science. We’re passionate about helping students go from zero to job ready. We help students deeply learn concepts, build projects, work together, and gain the confidence they need to start new careers. Read more about our philosophy here, and read what students think here.
We want to help tens of millions of students worldwide change their lives through data science education, and you’ll play a key role in helping us get there. We’re looking for collaborative and passionate team members, to help us continue to build out our 30+ person remote, global team.
This is a fully remote company and we are open to applications worldwide. You don't have to match all of the listed requirements to apply, we're truly looking for people who can grow along with our diverse and global team.
We are looking for a course author to work with our internal team of content developers to develop a course or set of courses on data science and analytics in the cloud. The courses will focus on helping learners develop the skills necessary to design, build, and deploy data science, data analytics, and machine learning solutions using cloud platforms, either as a data scientist or software engineer. The initial focus will be on AWS and Azure. You will be responsible for outlining and writing a number of lessons, exercises, and projects to provide learners with a hands-on, interactive learning experience. This is a great opportunity to share your hard-earned expertise with the broader data community and help shape the future of data skills education!
Here are a few important points about our content development process:
- Dataquest has a team of experienced course creators who will help you scope, design, and create the course from start to finish. We'll assist you in every step of the process.
- Dataquest courses focus on learning through text, images, gifs, and hands-on exercises. No need to record and edit hours of video.
- Dataquest courses are relatively short, requiring between 5 and 10 hours for learners to complete, the majority of which is spent on hands-on learning.
- Courses are comprised of between 4 and 6 lessons with a guided project at the end to allow learners to apply their skills to a real-world problem.
The authoring process
1. Application process - After submitting an application, we'll reach out to request a writing and/or code sample and set up a phone interview.
2. Course outline - We'll pair you with a content developer to create a course and project outline, including the target skills to be taught and datasets that will be used. For these courses, this step is already done.
3. Course development - Your content developer will work with you each step of the way, providing feedback on your content and exercises. We'll also provide design resources for visual content.
4. Course launch - We'll QA and test the course, and work with you on a go-to-market plan to maximize the reach of the course.
The time required to complete a course depends both on the length of the course and the author's experience. We suggest you set aside 10 hrs a week for 8-10 weeks.
What we're looking for
- 3+ years of professional experience using cloud tools
- Some experience teaching or creating content (blog, conference talks, etc.)
- Works collaboratively with others
- Manages time well to deliver work on schedule
- Strong writing skills - attention to detail and ability to follow defined authoring standards
- Ability to break down complex topics and problems into easy-to-follow explanations
- Bias towards application and project-based learning
Nice to have experience
- Understanding of best practices for adult learning (curriculum design, instructional design, etc)
- Experience with GitHub, ability to troubleshoot technical issues
Compensation will depend on the course topic. We offer either fixed, per course compensation paid out upon completion of the course, or a revenue share based on course completions.