Staff Engineer, Backend
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Engineering /
Full Time Exempt
Dave is a challenger bank on a mission to put financial minds at ease by improving the cost, usability and accessibility of the legacy financial system. As the finance version of David and Goliath taking on the big banks, Dave helps its seven million customers budget, find work, build credit, and access income to cover immediate expenses. Dave is backed by Mark Cuban, Norwest Venture Partners, Section 32, and Financial Venture Studios, among many others.
You are an experienced technical mind who is excited by the challenges of scaling our system to meet the needs of millions of members. While at Dave, you will work to implement best-in-class solutions while helping to elevate the engineering team around you. If owning and solving challenging problems is what motivates you, then this is the role for you.
What you'll do
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve back end software and services.
- Lead and review technical design and systems architecture across the product area’s services and applications.
- Take an active role in defining and executing against a technical strategy.
- Partner with senior leadership to improve processes and culture across engineering.
- Contribute to engineering process improvements, technical standards, hiring practices, and other efforts to raise the quality bar for Dave.
- Effectively empower team members through a delegation of technical responsibilities.
What experience you'll bring
- Minimum 7+ years of experience building highly available critical systems.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or relevant experience, master degree preferred).
- Experience and understanding in computer science fundamentals including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
- Proven experience in demonstrating architecture skills at a multi-system level.
- Proven experience writing scalable, high-performant, instrumented and clean code.
- Deep knowledge of GCP products, including BigQuery, Pubsub, Kubernetes, and Dataflow
- Deep knowledge of MySQL, Redis, (Snowflake preferred)
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Python, GoLang experience preferred
Benefits & Perks
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and 80% for your dependents
• Competitive salary and equity compensation packages
• Generous and flexible PTO
• Voluntary life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability plans
• Voluntary worksite benefit plans for accidents, critical illness, and hospital indemnity
• Flexible work hours
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Generous paid parental leave
• 1UP Wednesdays where you can teach or learn something new from a fellow Dave
• A collaborative environment with opportunities for learning and growth
• Virtual social events
Dave Inc is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.