Staff Engineer, Backend
Los Angeles, California
Full Time Exempt
Dave is the finance version of David and Goliath taking on the big banks. A financial friend to the millions of Americans who use the app, Dave helps with budgeting, building credit, finding work and accessing money to cover immediate expenses before payday. Instead of mandatory fees, Dave lets users pay what they think is fair through a ‘tip’ based model. Dave users plant a tree for each % tip they leave when taking an advance, resulting in tens of millions of trees planted.
We are choosing to build a quality team vs a large team. You will be a formative part of our company culture moving forward. To that point, we want someone that can take ownership of a project from beginning to end and can do it on their own. We’ll be there to support you but not hold your hand.
Sure, we’ve checked all the boxes you’d expect from a fast-moving startup, but the best thing we can offer you is a supportive environment for learning and opportunities for personal/professional growth.
You are an experienced technical mind who is excited by the challenges of scaling our system to meet the needs of millions of members. While at Dave, you will work to implement best-in-class solutions while helping to elevate the engineering team around you. If owning and solving challenging problems is what motivates you, then this is the role for you.
What you'll do
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve back end software and services.
- Lead and review technical design and systems architecture across the product area’s services and applications.
- Take an active role in defining and executing against a technical strategy.
- Partner with senior leadership to improve processes and culture across engineering.
- Contribute to engineering process improvements, technical standards, hiring practices, and other efforts to raise the quality bar for Dave.
- Effectively empower team members through a delegation of technical responsibilities.
What experience you'll bring
- Minimum 7+ years of experience building highly available critical systems.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or relevant experience, master degree preferred).
- Experience and understanding in computer science fundamentals including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
- Proven experience in demonstrating architecture skills at a multi-system level.
- Proven experience writing scalable, high-performant, instrumented and clean code.
- Deep knowledge of GCP products, including BigQuery, Pubsub, Kubernetes, and Dataflow
- Deep knowledge of MySQL, Redis, (Snowflake preferred)
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Python, GoLang experience preferred
Benefits & Perks:
· Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
· Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and your dependents
· Competitive salary and equity compensation packages
· Generous and flexible PTO
· Catered lunch 3x/week
· Voluntary life insurance plan
· Voluntary worksite benefit plans for accidents, critical illness and hospital indemnity
· Flexible work hours
· 401(k) savings plan
· Central location
· Generous paid parental leave
· 1UP Wednesdays where you can teach or learn something new from a fellow Dave
· An open and fun office space with room for socializing - outside patio, hammock, and basketball hoop
· A collaborative environment with opportunities for learning and growth
Dave Inc is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.