New York, NY /
The debt collection industry is broken. Despite touching the lives of tens of millions of Americans with hundreds of billions of dollars of delinquent consumer debt, the industry generates more complaints than any other consumer finance matter year after year. Debtsy is a technology company providing a more streamlined, compliant and effective resolution process for borrowers and creditors alike. We tailor our engagement and our offers to the borrower’s unique financial situation, their preferences, and what’s worked for similar borrowers. Meanwhile, we provide real-time transparency around our collections to our creditor clients to demonstrate our compliance and effectiveness.
We have financial institution clients, and are backed by top-tier fintech venture capitalists.
Debtsy is looking for a corporate counsel to maintain and improve our legal and compliance practices.
We need a lawyer with an operational mindset who’s willing to get their hands-dirty and who’s interested in gaining exposure to many parts of our business. You will collaborate with our outside compliance and legal teams to solve regulatory questions. You will expedite sales conversations by negotiating contracts, completing diligence requests, and more. You will work closely with our product and engineering teams to review new features. As our first in-house counsel, you will gain exposure to other parts of our business, like fundraising, investor relations and managing client relationships, and you will contribute to building out our in-house compliance and legal teams.
Finally, a diversity of perspectives and experiences is important to our team, so we encourage especially those with backgrounds underrepresented in tech to apply.
What you'll do:
- Provide sound advice to support business decisions with respect to legal and compliance requirements in our heavily regulated industry
- Work cross-functionally with product, engineering, operations, sales, and external legal counsel
- Streamline the legal review and completion of NDAs, contracts, vendor agreements, due diligence questions, licensing, insurance and other related material
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures to ensure that we are compliant with all applicable rules and regulations
- Stay up to date on regulatory trends and relevant legal cases in the collections space
You may be a fit if you have:
- The ability to practice law in New York
- 2+ years of experience as a lawyer, ideally as an in-house counsel at another fintech company
- Knowledge of FDCPA, TCPA, FCRA, and general debt collection rules and regulations
- Experience working with product and engineering teams to ship new features
- The ability to handle ambiguity and uncertainty at a small company
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent analytical and time-management skills
- Interest in growing our team
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Debtsy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.