Senior Microfluidic Chip Scientist
Mountain View, CA /
Deepcell is a Stanford spin-off that develops diagnostic genetic tests based on a simple blood draw. We would change how physicians and the healthcare community run tests such as prenatal screening and liquid biopsy by combining the benefits of current screening tests and the diagnostic power of invasive tests. Deepcell technology has won multiple prestigious awards. Deepcell is backed by top Venture Capitals in Silicon Valley..
- Design microfluidic biochips and develop the fabrication processes.
- Lead the development of Deepcell’s next generation system around the core microfluidic concepts and chip designs.
- Analyze system requirements. Propose, plan, and test different flow configuration concepts. Drive the lead ones through the feasibility and development phases by building breadboard and prototype systems with the help from the engineering team.
- Develop in-house fabrication processes and explore outsource manufacturing opportunities.
- Work with the biology team to develop proper biochip operation protocols.
- Manage research assistants. Design, conduct and analyze experiments and the results.
- Establish biochip QC/QA test methods and procedures.
- Document and troubleshoot biochip and fluidic related issues. Follow the best practices for necessary quality assurance and certification requirements.
- Ph.D. in Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar fields. Or, master with multiple years of industry experience in the microfluidics field.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience of biochip design, instrument optics and hardware control development, preferably in medical/biotech fields.
- Experience with active cell sorting mechanisms, such as acoustics, piezo, or electrical methods.
- Experience in manufacturing development and outsourcing of microfluidic biochips.
- Experience in microfluidic flow simulation, such as COMSOL.
- Experience in setting up optical, mechanical and electrical testing prototype systems.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and ability to learn quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong working knowledge of chip design tools, such as AutoCAD or L-Edit.
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Maintain a high degree of ethical standards and trustworthiness.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.