Mechatronic Systems Engineer
Mountain View, CA /
Product Development /
Interested in helping to develop cutting edge technologies to empower cell biology and save lives? If so, we'd love to talk to you!
Our company is focused on developing a new technology to improve biological research and, ultimately, health outcomes, across all of biology, enabling previously impossible applications. We deliver detailed breakdowns on a cell-by-cell basis, by using deep learning to classify cells based on their morphology. We've launched an internal product and are working to develop a commercially releasable version.
Come join Deepcell and make a difference! We're a rapidly growing team of stellar innovators in biomedical engineering, artificial intelligence, and molecular biology. Our technology has won multiple prestigious awards and is backed by top-tier venture capitalists in Silicon Valley including Andreessen Horowitz and Bow Capital.
- Support instrument hardware design, create drawings, manage vendors and perform incoming inspection & tests of machined, optical, and electronic parts
- Develop manufacturing processes and quality control methods for the components and assemblies of the products
- Assemble initial Alpha and Beta prototype instruments, test subassemblies, and generate standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Ultimately, work with contract manufacturers to transfer manufacturing of the product to them (two years from now)
- Assist in maintaining product definition documents, including Product Requirements Document (PRD), Specifications, and Test Plans
- Work with other product development and R&D engineers to support and participate in defining new design and system requirements
- Assist the definition, development and prototyping of biotech instruments based on system requirements.
- Analyze design performance through 3D CAD and finite element analysis (FEA) simulations
- Characterize solutions for optical stability, repeatability, and reliability through experiments and structured test plans
- Characterize fluidics and pneumatics assemblies for stability and controllability
- Report to senior management on results of test protocols
- Design tools and fixtures to aid in alignment, fabrication, and assembly of optical and consumable components, as well as to perform life tests
- Troubleshoot technical opto-electro-mechanical development and production problems.
- This is an on-site position -- not remote. Work from home as appropriate.
- BS in Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 2+ years of hands-on experience of precision opto-mechanical design and assembly, or equivalently demanding design, preferably in an instrumentation environment
- Desire and ability to work in a lab environment, building up instrumentation, writing required code to get it to work, and testing against test plans that you have written
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and ability to learn quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced and multi-disciplinary environment
- Strong working knowledge of 3D CAD software (SolidWorks) is required
- Experience with getting custom-to-print parts manufactured at machine shops, relationship sourcing from local machine shops
- Experience scripting in python or other software development
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values
- Maintain a high degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness
- Strong technical written and oral communication skills
- MS or Ph.D. in Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of hands-on experience of precision opto-mechanical design and assembly, preferably in an instrumentation environment
- Hands-on experience with 3D printers and rapid prototyping.
- Experience working with vendors to get parts rapidly prototyped
- Experience and knowledge of machine shop practices, practical use of tools
- Ability to do machining
- Experience with some PCB design is a plus
- Experience with Zemax optical design is not required but a plus
Deepcell Bio is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation