Senior Mechanical Engineer - Injection Molding
Mountain View, CA /
Product Development /
Interested in helping to develop cutting edge technologies to empower cell biology and save lives? If so, we'd love to talk to you!
Our company is focused on developing a new technology to improve biological research and, ultimately, health outcomes, across all of biology, enabling previously impossible applications. We deliver detailed breakdowns on a cell-by-cell basis, by using deep learning to classify cells based on their morphology. We've launched an internal product and are working to develop a commercially releasable version.
Come join Deepcell and make a difference! We're a rapidly growing team of stellar innovators in biomedical engineering, artificial intelligence, and molecular biology. Our technology has won multiple prestigious awards and is backed by top-tier venture capitalists in Silicon Valley including Andreessen Horowitz and Bow Capital.
As a Senior Mechanical Injection Molding Engineer you will design cutting edge commercial consumables using SolidWorks. You will have familiarity with getting components fabricated from either 3D model or 2D dimensioned drawings. You will be intimately familiar with GD&T. Ideally you will have good relationships with machine shops and injection molders in the area and elsewhere. The successful candidate will be able to take the project from the concept stage through to completion.
You will have strong familiarity with documenting products using product lifecycle management (PLM) tools. In addition, you will be detail-oriented and passionate about process for making things run correctly and smoothly.
You will manage the supply chain including machine shops for mold manufacturing and injection molders for fabrication of the end product.
You will also be hands-on in the lab and actively participate in assembling the microfluidic chips and cartridges into functioning breadboards or complete flow cytometer instruments. This will require debugging skills and ability to run applications or scripts to control mechanical hardware, including possibly motors and stages, and certainly air and fluid lines.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience
- 5 years’ experience designing and constructing complex molds
- 5 years’ experience with injection molding of precision plastic fluidic structures
- Experience with designing consumables
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Proficiency in Solidworks and drafting procedures
- Experience driving component procurement
- Familiarity with cost reduction efforts, including overseas manufacturing and multi cavity tooling
- Comfortable in the lab, bringing up complex microfluidic and pneumatic assemblies
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and ability to learn quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced, and multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and valuesHigh degree of ethical standards and trustworthiness
- Ability to define and execute a project using project management techniques
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment. Excellent team building skills in dealing with suppliers, peers and other functional areas
- Ability to define and execute a project using project management techniquesStrong technical written and oral communication skill
- Some amount of travel, possibly on short notice
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with micron-level precision molds and injection molded parts
- Familiar with motors and intricate actuating mechanisms
- Familiarity with biotechnology instrumentation, particularly microfluidic instrumentation
- Experience with CE/safety and 13485 regulatory compliance
- Experience assembling fluidic/pneumatic assemblies
- Experience with design of instrument consumables/disposables
Deepcell Bio is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation