Toronto, Ontario /
Target Discovery /
Deep Genomics is a Toronto-based startup company that is building an AI-powered discovery and development platform to significantly expand the universe of medicines available for genetically-defined diseases. Founded in 2015, Deep Genomics brings together a multidisciplinary team of world-leading experts in machine learning, genomics, chemistry, and biology. Together we are on a mission to rapidly discover and develop oligonucleotide drugs for the treatment of patients with severe disorders of the liver, central nervous system, and eye.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with solid experience in bioinformatics, specifically in the analysis of large-scale whole exome and whole genome datasets. The successful candidate will take on tasks including re-analysis of publicly-available and large-scale genetics datasets, such as the UK BioBank exomes, with the support of other team members (software engineers, statistical geneticists, machine learning scientists, genetics curation scientists), to reveal novel targets for therapeutic development. The ideal candidate has robust programming skills, is comfortable working in a high-performance computing environment, and has a good understanding of human genetics and bioinformatics pipelines.
- MSc or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related fields.
- Solid knowledge of Python or R, and Unix shell.
- Familiarity with high performance computing environments.
- Familiarity with BWA, GATK and genetic variant annotation software (e.g. Annovar, VEP), in relation to whole exome and whole genome data analysis pipelines.
- Good understanding of human genetics and interpretation of genetic variant data.
- Elementary working knowledge of biostatistics.
- At least 4 year post-graduate experience (academic or industrial).
- Peer-reviewed publication record.
Preferred But Optional Qualifications:
- Direct experience with UK BioBank, One Million Veteran Project, TopMed or other large-scale human genetics datasets.
- More advanced knowledge of biostatistics.
What We Offer:
- A highly competitive salary and meaningful equity compensation.
- Exceptional opportunities for learning and growth.
- Leading role in developing the future of genomic analysis and therapy.
- A bright, collegial, highly-motivated team working at the intersection of the most exciting areas of science and technology.
Deep Genomics thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deep Genomics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.