Network Engineer 3rd shift
Chicago, IL or Remote
Engineering Operations /
At Deft, we are our clients’ most trusted advisor. The Deft team humanizes technology. We actively listen to our clients, learning and collaborating to develop tailored proposals that perfectly fit their needs. Then we proceed to design, build, operate, secure and scale unique technology solutions with a singular purpose: to deftly deliver on the promise of technology.
We are seeking highly technical and experienced Network Engineers with a strong focus on networking architecture and operations (layer 2, layer 3, virtual networks, routing protocols) to join our Engineering Support team to carry out network administration functions for both customer-facing and internal systems. As a Network Engineer, you will assist with design and administrative requirements to ensure an efficient, reliable and secure customer experience.
Network Engineers are expected to bring both customer support engagements and projects to conclusion, including development of operating procedures, instruction and training, and required documentation. Work is performed, and technical decisions are made with latitude for independent judgment, thought, and creativity.
- Interface with customers, vendors, and internal staff. Function as an escalation point for Network Engineering staff and advanced customer support.
- Provision customer interfaces and managed hardware with close coordination with the customer.
- Maintain and promote Deft’s top-quality support and customer satisfaction.
- Monitor task workflow, customer communications and trouble ticket generation / escalation / resolution.
- Adherence to Change Control process and ensuring Compliance requirements are met. Participation in weekly on-call rotation and escalation trees.
- Review reports of backbone circuit, transit provider, and customer routing / switching issues.
- Work with team members across multiple geographic locations and time zones to ensure thorough completion of tasks.
- Proactively monitor and troubleshoot the Deft network for stability and performance.
- Create, modify, and improve documentation supporting the Engineering teams.
- Propose, develop, and complete projects requisite with skill level.
I'm interested...is this the job for me? We are looking for:
- Experience in network troubleshooting/fault isolation, teamwork, and multitasking.
- Minimum of 5 years operational experience (Service Provider or Enterprise IT Campus/Datacenter).
- Experience with Palo Alto and / or edge networking.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn, teach, and share knowledge.
- Operational experience with configuration & troubleshooting of cloud and hypervisor networking.
- Typical “internet application” comprehension: HTTP/S, SMTP, DNS, etc.
- Extensive working knowledge of Juniper JUNOS.
- Extensive operational experience with Juniper M/MX/T series routers and EX/QFX switches.
- Extensive operational experience with routing protocols, including BGP and OSPF.
- Extensive operational experience with networking protocols and standards including VRRP, LAG, LACP, VLANs, MPLS, VPLS, L3VPN, EVPN, VXLAN and port trunks.
- Operational experience with Cisco IOS.
- Operation experience with AWS advanced networking concepts such as Route Tables, Transit Gateway, and Direct Connect.
- Experience with layer 1 troubleshooting, including dedicated circuits, fiber links, and wavelength devices (muxes, waveservers, etc).
- Extensive experience configuring and troubleshooting firewalls, network load balancers, IPSec tunnels, NAT, Layer 4/7 load balancing and network attack mitigation devices. Preferred vendors: Check Point, Juniper SRX, Fortinet, Radware, F5.
- Preferred Certifications: Juniper JNCIE-SP, Juniper JNCIE-ENT.
- Preferred Certifications: Palo Alto Networks Certified Cybersecurity Associate (PCCSA), Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Administrator (PCNSA), Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE)
At Deft, our culture and core values are important to us. As a diverse team of passionate pathfinders, we deliver on the promise of technology. If this sparks your interest, we'd love to chat with you!
- Make a difference for our clients daily
- Find a way forward
- Push to your potential
- Care, and show up for each other
Benefits: Deft’s total benefit package is highly competitive, designed to support your success at work, at home, and at play – and includes, Flexible Time Off, RTA and CTA Transit Benefits, 401k with 4% employer match, free employee collocation and cloud account, technology allowance program with monthly payroll reimbursement, Life Insurance/Long Term Disability, Health Insurance with HRA/HSA Options, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, and a fun and casual work environment. Your recruiter will be happy to discuss all that Deft has to offer!
Pay Range: $75,000-$155,00/year
Actual base salary varies based on factors, including but not limited to, relevant skill, prior experience, education, base salary of internal peers, demonstrated performance, and geographic location.
Deft is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Deft is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
As part of this commitment, Deft will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.