Data Center Technician - Part-Time (DFT)
Elk Grove Village, IL /
Data Center Operations /
At Deft, we are our clients’ most trusted advisor. You might recognize us by our prior name and legacy as ServerCentral Turing Group, but Deft reflects who we are and the capabilities we bring to our clients every day.
The Deft team humanizes technology. We actively listen to our clients, learning and collaborating to develop tailored proposals that perfectly fit their needs. Then we proceed to design, build, operate, secure, and scale unique technology solutions with a singular purpose: to deftly deliver on the promise of technology.
You’ll learn how to work in a data center environment. Deft provides onsite training in structured cabling, facility build out and access to cutting edge technologies.
- Process inbound and outbound domestic and international shipments.
- Add equipment received into inventory.
- Audit inventory items to ensure stock levels are accurate in the systems.
- Escort customers and vendors and provide them assistance when on-site.
- Assist with data center infrastructure build outs.
- Install and troubleshoot structured data cabling.
- Occasionally transport equipment to and from our Chicago facilities.
- Configure and install equipment for service orders.
- Keep data center space clean and organized.
- Other data center and warehouse related duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform troubleshooting/fault isolation, multitask, and work as part of a team
- Experience working in a data center or tech support environment
- Basic understanding of Unix-based operating systems (FreeBSD, Linux)
- Experience with Microsoft server level operating systems
- Familiar with Ethernet network cabling standards
- Willing to work any shift as needed (24/7 operation) (including weekends and holidays)
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated willingness to learn, teach, and share knowledge
- Ability to lift 60-75 lbs
- Comfortable working with hand tools
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Linux and Windows networking, operation, and troubleshooting.
- Physical configuration and maintenance/troubleshooting of x86 hardware.
- Structured cabling, termination and testing.
At Deft, our culture and core values are important to us. As a diverse team of passionate pathfinders, we deliver on the promise of technology. If this sparks your interest, we'd love to chat with you!
- Make a difference for our clients daily
- Find a way forward
- Push to your potential
- Care, and show up for each other
Deft is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Deft is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.