Senior Systems and Storage Engineer
Chicago, IL or Remote
Engineering Operations /
At Deft, we are our clients’ most trusted advisor. The Deft team humanizes technology. We actively listen to our clients, learning and collaborating to develop tailored proposals that perfectly fit their needs. Then we proceed to design, build, operate, secure and scale unique technology solutions with a singular purpose: to deftly deliver on the promise of technology.
Join a talented team of engineers who demonstrate great technical proficiency in deploying mission-critical infrastructures and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance, and security.
We are looking for a highly skilled Systems Engineer with business and technical expertise to execute strategies, evaluate products, and build infrastructure to support our customers' evolving needs. Our Systems Engineer will design, develop, and integrate complex working systems for each phase of the life cycle. Systems Engineers must bring projects to completion, including developing necessary operating procedures, instructions, training, and documentation. Work is done and technical decisions are made with independent judgment, thought, and creativity.
- Interface with customers, vendors, and internal staff.
- Function as an escalation point for Support Staff and Systems Engineers
- Perform advanced server and network troubleshooting on internal and customer-owned systems
- Manage and monitor all infrastructure and systems installations, including configuration, testing, and maintenance
- Implement and maintain strategies for backup, security, and redundancy
- Identify potential issues and implement solutions proactively
- Enable faster and smarter business processes and develop meaningful analytics
- End-to-end trouble ticket handling including initial troubleshooting, and resolution of escalated issues
- Complete tasks as assigned with an eye for ways to improve and grow
- Mentor and train other engineers throughout the company and seek to continually improve processes companywide
- Communicate with stakeholders to identify what they want to accomplish with a system
- Use expert-level administration and optimization of hosts and servers to ensure a high degree of availability and appropriate resource management
- Standardize and automate processes using scripting technology
- Install and configure operating systems, software, and hardware components, and leverage IT staff for routine tasks by clearly documenting design, maintenance, and support procedures
- Test software routinely for bugs, redundancies, and security issues
- Conduct high-level root-cause analysis of service interruptions and establish preventive measures
- Provide Level III support for advanced support cases
- Adherence to Change Control process and participation in weekly on-call rotation.
- Function as a Subject Matter Expert for the products that our systems team is responsible for.
I'm interested...is this the job for me? We are looking for (must-haves):
- A holistic approach to customer interactions, with a focus, not only on the experience but being a trusted advisor.
- Linux Server (RHEL/CentOS, Ubuntu) networking, operation, and troubleshooting.
- Typical “internet application” comprehension: HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, DNS, etc.
- Experience managing distributed systems and microservice architectures
- Distributed File System and Object Storage (S3) experience with solutions like Ceph, Cloudian, Minio.
- Ability to work together with teams from several departments to facilitate the orderly execution of a proposed project plan.
- Strong Linux application-level debugging and performance profiling skills.
- Ability to read and write scripts with one or more: Python, Bash, Ansible, Terraform.
We are looking for (nice-to-haves):
- Hands-on experience with Kubernetes including initial setup, ongoing maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Operational experience with AWS core services such as EC2, Security Groups, S3, and IAM
- Knowledge of monitoring and observability tools like Grafana, ELK, Prometheus, LogicMonitor, Nagios, Zabbix, etc...
- Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator or Kubernetes and Cloud-Native Associate
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ceph Storage Administration
- Docker Certified Associate
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ansible Automation
- HashiCorp Certified Terraform Associate
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional
At Deft, our culture and core values are important to us. As a diverse team of passionate pathfinders, we deliver on the promise of technology. If this sparks your interest, we'd love to chat with you!
- Make a difference for our clients daily
- Find a way forward
- Push to your potential
- Care, and show up for each other
Benefits: Deft’s total benefit package is highly competitive, designed to support your success at work, at home, and at play – and includes, Flexible Time Off, RTA and CTA Transit Benefits, 401k with 4% employer match, free employee collocation and cloud account, technology allowance program with monthly payroll reimbursement, Life Insurance/Long Term Disability, Health Insurance with HRA/HSA Options, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, and a fun and casual work environment. Your recruiter will be happy to discuss all that Deft has to offer!
Pay Range: $130,000-$175,00/year
Actual base salary varies based on factors, including but not limited to, relevant skill, prior experience, education, base salary of internal peers, demonstrated performance, and geographic location.
Deft is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Deft is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
As part of this commitment, Deft will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.