Associate Director, Workplace & Facilities
Palo Alto, CA /
Lab Operations – Lab Operations /
Our mission is to cure cancer through high performance, accessible early cancer detection. That means saving lives.
Delfi Diagnostics is a Johns Hopkins spinoff focused on the non-invasive detection of cancer at earlier stages, when it is most curable. DELFI uses artificial intelligence and whole genome sequencing to detect unique patterns of DNA fragmentation in the blood of patients with cancer. These analyses are performed through simultaneous examination of millions of DNA sequences using machine learning to identify tumor-specific abnormalities.
In our passionate pursuit to radically improve health outcomes, we serve humanity when we:
Lead with Science, Anchor in Pragmatism: We pioneer life-changing science by ensuring quality, transparency, and rigor at all times. We explore thoughtfully, experiment smartly, and deliver impact with conviction.
Build With & For All: We embrace diverse backgrounds to innovate and achieve together. We are not just building a product - we aim to disrupt the path of cancer for all - no matter geography or socioeconomic class
Put We over I: We are a home for high-performing people. Through teamwork, we build collective intelligence. Each of us wins when those we serve and those who serve with us--win. We show up with empathy, humility, and integrity at every step of the journey.
Delfi Diagnostics is looking for an exceptional and experienced Associate Director, Workplace & Facilities to join our growing organization.
This person will embody our values, driving decision making with data and partnering clearly and effectively across functions. This position will report to the VP, Quality, Regulatory, and Lab Operations. This role partners closely with Lab Operations, Technical Development, G&A, IT, and Legal and will work cross-functionally with our scientists, engineers, and operational colleagues to support our rapid company growth.
What you’ll do
- Provide oversight for both Palo Alto (CAP/CLIA) and Baltimore (RUO) lab and office spaces.
- Develop and lead/manage the Facilities function from an operational perspective
- Manage all workplace-related external vendors for maintenance and improvements including electrical, plumbing, utilities, HVAC, pest control, and hazardous materials/waste.
- Take accountability for physical security, including security of the physical sites, badge management, alarms and visitor management and policies.
- Responsible for purchasing all office furniture and ensuring proper tracking of Company property
- Collaborate with lab colleagues on lab equipment purchases and maintenance.
- Develop and manage budgets, forecasts, and long-range business and operational plans for facilities.
- Own the relationship with Property Management and ensure compliance.
- Oversee work by architects, external contractors, construction and engineering teams in close collaboration with internal stakeholders and real estate partners.
- Provides overall direction and sets priorities for the site improvement projects and activities
- Plan and lead long-term building, space planning and critical redesign efforts including leading the bid evaluation, contract award, and negotiation processes of our new headquarters build-out, as appropriate
- Serve as lead point of contact with Property Management and ensure compliance with lease agreements.
- Partner with the People Team to optimize the workspace to sustain and support a hybrid office culture. Collaborate with senior leadership to understand the short-term and long-term workplace needs.
- Create and manage a clear and effective Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) program to ensure regulatory compliance for our clinical and research lab spaces.
- Develop and lead training on related policies and procedures.
- Along with the Chief Medical Officer and the Vice President of People, lead the Covid-19 task force, using data to create and implement plans and programs to ensure business continuity and safety for all Delfites.
What you’ll have accomplished 12 months from now
- Completed the second phase of Delfi’s clinical lab build out
- Assured a compliant Facilities function, with particular attention on Security and Safety
- Completed a short- and long-term Facilities proposal/plan (office and lab space, including the associated timeline and costs) to support Delfi’s growth
- Developing and writing policies and SOPs for facilities operations
- Contributed to ERP planning and implementation, to and including an operational plan for the Facilities function (staffing, budget, etc.)
- Evolved facilities SOPs, processes, etc. to be ready for commercial launch
- Aligned our Baltimore, MD and Palo Alto, CA sites from a Facilities support perspective
What you’ll bring to DELFI
- 6+ years demonstrated experience supporting a facilities organization in the life sciences or biotech industry.
- Adaptability to the dynamic and fast-paced Delfi environment.
- Experience owning facilities with multiple locations.
- Strong collaborative and cross-functional partnering skills.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and effectively problem solve.
- Training or certification in EH&S processes.
- Experience in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, pest control, and general building maintenance.
- Ability to influence, build, and foster relationships horizontally and vertically across the organization.
- Ability to communicate with senior leadership, clinicians, and regulatory authorities.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills required.
An equal opportunity employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.