Financial Controller (Director/Sr. Director)
Baltimore, MD /
Finance – Finance /
Our mission is to cure cancer through high performance, accessible early cancer detection. That means saving lives.
Delfi Diagnostics is a Johns Hopkins spinoff focused on the non-invasive detection of cancer at earlier stages, when it is most curable. DELFI uses artificial intelligence and whole genome sequencing to detect unique patterns of DNA fragmentation in the blood of patients with cancer. These analyses are performed through simultaneous examination of millions of DNA sequences using machine learning to identify tumor-specific abnormalities.
In our passionate pursuit to radically improve health outcomes, we serve humanity when we:
Lead with Science, Anchor in Pragmatism: We pioneer life-changing science by ensuring quality, transparency, and rigor at all times. We explore thoughtfully, experiment smartly, and deliver impact with conviction.
Build With & For All: We embrace diverse backgrounds to innovate and achieve together. We are not just building a product - we aim to disrupt the path of cancer for all - no matter geography or socioeconomic class
Put We over I: We are a home for high-performing people. Through teamwork, we build collective intelligence. Each of us wins when those we serve and those who serve with us--win. We show up with empathy, humility, and integrity at every step of the journey.
The corporate controller plays a leadership role in the accounting, compliance and financial reporting functions for this quickly growing pre-IPO diagnostics organization. This position will be responsible for ensuring readiness of accounting teams, processes, policies and systems for commercial launch and potential IPO. This position is based in Baltimore, MD with the ability to travel to Palo Alto, CA.
What you'll do
- Mentor, manage, evaluate, and grow out a top talent accounting team. Areas of oversight include accounting operations (GL, AP insurance, tax, payroll), revenue recognition, cost accounting, financial reporting, statutory reporting, compliance and controls.
- Lead the accounting team’s launch readiness efforts, including assessing and setting policies, processes and systems to support Revenue recognition, cost and inventory accounting.
- Partner with operations to implement required compliant processes and policies.
- Own the chart of accounts and evolve to support the business data and reporting needs.
- Responsible for the monthly close processes and accountability over the financial statements.
- Produce accurate and timely GAAP reports.
- Manage and direct ERP system enhancements, upgrades and changes. Identify system gaps, solutions, and lead implementation.
- Ensure proper completion of audits and compliance work.
- Monitor requirements and maintain compliance with SEC, GAAP, SOX (when applicable)
- Work with tax accounting firms to ensure proactive understanding of regulatory requirements and ongoing compliance
- Develop, monitor, and improve upon KPI metrics for the accounting department
- Partner with operations and FP&A on strategic analyses, as needed
- Ad hoc analysis and financial modeling as needed
What you'll bring to DELFI
- BS in Accounting or Finance; CPA strongly preferred
- Big 4 Public Accounting and public company experience preferred
- 10+ years relevant finance and accounting experience in diagnostics or healthcare, specifically commercial launch
- Proficiency in GAAP, technical accounting include revenue recognition, cost accounting/inventory, and SEC accounting and disclosure rules
- Experience with Sarbanes Oxley Internal Control assessment (Section 404)
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Proven track record of building high performing accounting teams
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Working knowledge of major ERP system and adept in developing and implementing system changes (currently use NetSuite)
An equal opportunity employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.