Sr. Statistical Programmer
Palo Alto, CA /
Data Science – Data Science, Development /
Our mission is to cure cancer through high performance, accessible early cancer detection. That means saving lives.
Delfi Diagnostics is a Johns Hopkins spinoff focused on the non-invasive detection of cancer at earlier stages, when it is most curable. DELFI uses artificial intelligence and whole genome sequencing to detect unique patterns of DNA fragmentation in the blood of patients with cancer. These analyses are performed through simultaneous examination of millions of DNA sequences using machine learning to identify tumor-specific abnormalities.
In our passionate pursuit to radically improve health outcomes, we serve humanity when we:
Lead with Science, Anchor in Pragmatism: We pioneer life-changing science by ensuring quality, transparency, and rigor at all times. We explore thoughtfully, experiment smartly, and deliver impact with conviction.
Build With & For All: We embrace diverse backgrounds to innovate and achieve together. We are not just building a product - we aim to disrupt the path of cancer for all - no matter geography or socioeconomic class
Put We over I: We are a home for high-performing people. Through teamwork, we build collective intelligence. Each of us wins when those we serve and those who serve with us--win. We show up with empathy, humility, and integrity at every step of the journey.
About the Role
The Sr. Statistical Programmer works in the non-clinical statistics team in the data science division building and improving R infrastructure and tools used in the execution of analytical or process validation studies of cancer detection and monitoring products. The Sr. Statistical Programmer will implement statistical analyses in the support of cross-functional projects and laboratory studies. The role involves significant cross-functional collaboration with other departments (e.g. clinical development, assay development, software engineering). This position will report to the director of biostatistics.
What you'll do
- Perform statistical analyses and create statistical programming deliverables by writing clean, well-constructed, and correct R code
- Construct testing suites as needed to verify R packages and functions using a risk-based approach, and have ownership of locked versions of validated R package libraries
- Provide leadership in developing and disseminating R software practices that are compliant with good clinical practice and relevant federal regulations
- Communicate and interact with different functional groups (clinical development, data science, software engineering, etc.) to ensure uniformity of practices and procedures regarding data storage, handling, transfer, and analysis
- Lead the creation, maintenance, and continuous improvement of R analysis infrastructure for the data science division
What you'll have accomplished 12 months from now
- You will have led the validation of R software used to conduct analyses designed for submission to regulatory bodies such as the FDA
- You will have created statistical tools in R for use by non-clinical statistics and data science teams
- You will have contributed to finding and developing software tools or frameworks for performing efficient, traceable, version-controlled, and reproducible statistical analyses
- You will have performed analyses to support laboratory or validation studies
- You will have helped to refine and develop best software development practices for statisticians, and will have educated team members in them
What you'll bring to DELFI
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Data Science, Mathematics, or a related field, and at least 5 years of relevant work experience
- At least 4 years experience using R to perform statistical analysis, creating R packages, or otherwise utilizing advanced aspects of R
- A solid understanding of fundamental statistical principles and methods
- Experience verifying and validating statistical software used in a regulated environment, and experience with software development practices (e.g. code management, software verification and validation, unit testing, maintenance and support of packages and functions) and tools
- Ability to work independently and to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of 21 CFR Part 11 and experience complying with it, and familiarity with GxP
- Experience working in a medical device company or in a similar industry in which human health data is analyzed
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, GitHub, Docker, and similar tools and technologies
Delfi’s Covid-19 Vaccination Mandate: Delfi Diagnostics requires that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19. Proof of vaccination or sincerely held religious belief and/or medical exemption is required upon hire. Delfi Diagnostics will engage in an interactive dialogue process with employees who have documented medical conditions and/or sincerely held religious beliefs that would prevent them from getting vaccinated, in accordance with all applicable laws.
An equal opportunity employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.