2023/2024 Intern | Tax & Business Advisory | Tax | Wellington
Wellington, NZ /
Tax & BA – Tax /
· Learn from the best. Work with an award-winning Tax team who has more recognised leaders in each field than any other firm.
· Have a buddy and career coach to give you feedback, support and advice
Deloitte's Summer Intern program, running from November 2023 to February 2024, is a great way to experience what life is like in our Tax practice by giving you real world exposure to a wide variety of clients and projects within an equally wide range of sectors and industries. The program is designed to help you make the best career choice by showing you what it's like working at Deloitte.
What will you get to do?
With a deep expertise in tax, our team delivers top-quality, practical advice that’s tailored to our clients’ unique circumstances. If you’re looking to build a long-term career in tax and want to deepen your technical expertise in this field and experience interacting with clients, this is your chance to learn from some of the industry’s top taxation experts and work with a variety of top-tier clients ranging from multinational corporations, through to high net-worth individuals. Pretty interesting, right?
Your future starts with us.
With the diversity of work on offer in our supportive teams, we can take you places. You can gain experience across a number of the following areas:
1. Business Tax Advisory – We focus on delivering a comprehensive, practical approach to tax planning that helps corporate and international businesses meet their worldwide tax and statutory responsibilities while identifying planning opportunities. This includes helping clients navigate the complexities of the international tax world and advising clients with a particular industry focus (e.g. financial services), as well as their eligibility for R&D tax incentives.
2. Transfer Pricing - We work with multinational enterprises from all around the world to help them understand and apply new global transfer pricing rules to their businesses so they can ensure they pay the right amount of tax in New Zealand and offshore. We also provide our clients with expertise on international related party transactions and defend them in interactions with tax authorities. Consultants with transfer pricing experience are in high demand around the world, and skills developed in the New Zealand market are relevant throughout your career.
3. Indirect Tax - As New Zealand’s leading indirect tax practice, we're specialists in a broad range of increasingly important indirect taxes including GST and Customs. We’re at the forefront of indirect tax policy and framing national conversations on GST issues. We provide indirect tax consulting and advisory services to our clients whilst also using data analytics and other technologies to offer solutions.
4. Mergers & Acquisitions – We provide tax advice to a variety of domestic and international clients to create value and help them achieve their commercial objectives in transactions (e.g. mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, equity investments or divestitures). Our involvement can include tax due diligence, structuring, sale documentation review, deal model review and post-merger integration services.
5. Global Employer Services - We help global employers navigate the tax, technology, immigration and mobility aspects through a global network of experts. In the modern work environment and with the rise of remote working, we are able to really make a difference in helping organisations navigate the tax challenges that come with having employees based around the globe.
6. Private Tax & Advisory – We provide advice to some of New Zealand’s most successful privately owned companies, high net worth individuals and not-for-profits. You’ll get to see the full gamut ranging from complex tax structuring, tax effective acquisitions and divestitures, right through to international expansion, succession planning, tax authority interaction and compliance.
7. National Tax – This is predominantly an internal facing role where the rest of the Tax & Private team are your clients. Our role is helping our people to understand new tax developments, so that we can then provide value to our clients. If you have an interest in tax policy or getting into lots of detail on an issue, this is the role for you as we monitor tax policy developments and interpretations, analyse and research technical tax issues, communicate developments internally and externally. As a member of the team, you’ll get external eminence when you contribute to our popular Tax Alert publication.
Where can I do it?
- Auckland (including at our Albany office)
We have a number of diverse teams within Deloitte Tax including Māori Business, Pasifika Business and China Services (Auckland only).
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
We are looking for anyone pursuing a degree and passion for Commerce and/or Business / Law and a genuine interest in a career in Tax.
You’ll possess the following skills;
· Excellent communicator and collaborator, able to work well in team environment
· Phenomenal time management and organisational skills
· Research ability. Sharp, analytical with attention to detail
· Self-awareness with good emotional intelligence to navigate between clients with competing priorities
· Resilience and the ability to embrace change
Sound like the sort of role for you? Apply now!
Remember you will need your CV, covering letter and academic transcript. Please only apply once, multiple applications will not be considered. You must be legally entitled to live and work in New Zealand from the time of application to be considered.
Please be aware, if a particular opportunity becomes oversubscribed, we will close it for applications before the stated deadline. We recommend you submit your full application as early as possible.
Deloitte is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Knowing that people work best in different ways, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements if the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
Studies have shown that women and people from under-represented backgrounds are less likely to apply for roles where they do not match the job description criteria exactly. If you're excited about this role and think you have what it takes, but your experience doesn't align 100%, we still want to hear from you and would encourage to apply.
We understand there have been cases of phishing emails purporting to be recruiters for Deloitte. Any communication from Deloitte New Zealand regarding an employment application will come from a “@deloitte.co.nz” or from our Applicant Tracking System “@hire.lever.co” email address or our video interview platform deloittenz.hirevue.com. If you have received a suspicious email and would like to verify validity of any communications that appear to be from Deloitte New Zealand, please contact us on NZinfo@deloitte.co.nz