Head of Operations - Hedge Fund
Hedge Fund /
Delphia is the world’s first investment strategy anyone can improve with their data. We select stocks to a portfolio by analysing trends in both the data of our members and the market itself. This helps us predict which companies will win or lose and helping you earn the returns you deserve.
We are building a new kind of company that re-thinks the value of privacy, data rights, and fiduciary responsibility in order to ensure your data is always working for you – like your money.
Whether we're identifying trends or educating people on how their data can be used to make better investment decisions, people at Delphia are socially-minded creatives at heart. Our teams are continually iterating, solving hard problems, and collaborating to generate new forms of value and economic returns for our users (we call them “members”, in fact). Working together, we want people to realise the true value of their data – and we're just getting started.
Delphia is a growing (37 people), multi-disciplinary team located in the heart of downtown Toronto and around major North American cities. We began in January 2018 and are graduates of Y Combinator and the Creative Destruction Lab. We’ve raised two rounds of funding and approximately $20 million to date.
About the Role
Reporting to the CIO, you will be responsible for all aspects of operations at the fund and establishing a strong working relationship with Portfolio Managers, Middle Office and various external counterparties.
You will also work closely with internal stakeholders to manage and implement projects.
Remote applicants welcome.
The scope of the role
- Operations and compliance (40%)
- Manage relationships with external parties including banks, brokers, custodians, administrators, auditors, data vendors and other service providers
- Coordinate and oversee new fund/SMA launches
- Optimize internal systems and processes and update operating manuals
- Ensure the operating procedures comply with regulatory and company requirements
- Oversee Operational Risk Management
- Accounting and fund management (40%)
- Oversee third party operations vendor that manages daily trade settlement, portfolio valuation, cash and position reconciliation ensuring accuracy of data and building out internal team as growth requires
- Manage subscription/redemptions, cashflow, expenses and accruals in each fund’s NAV as well as cash balances for each fund
- Review and validate monthly the NAV reports prepared by administrators and ensure that they are correctly reflected in the portfolio management software
- Analyze the funds’ returns and performance allocation and prepare ad-hoc data analysis
- Collaborate on growth planning with CIO
- Review fund tax documents
- Other (20%)
- Support the team with regards to client service, marketing, fundraising effort and investors due diligence when needed
- Manage onboarding of new investors
- Act as the primary point of contract with shared resource teams
We'd love to hear from you if
- 7+ years fund management, accounting and/or operations experience in a buy-side firm, ideally in a similar position covering both operational and accounting responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting or other business-related disciplines
- Knowledge of trade settlement, cash and valuation reconciliation as well as compliance check and internal control preferable
- Strong analytical, project management and communication skills, structured thinker, good with numbers and high level of attention to details and data accuracy
- Pro-active, independent and self-motivated, inquisitive with a critical mindset
As a member of the Delphia team, you will enjoy a variety of perks and benefits such as:
- Comprehensive Health and Dental Benefits, plus a Health Spending Account
- Flexible work hours with the ability to work from home when need be
- Work From Anywhere Policy
- Flexible Time-Off Policy
- Employee Stock Options
- Access to our Hedge Fund
Learning & Development:
- Tuition Reimbursement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Delphia is committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.