Head of Research
Toronto, ON /
Hedge Fund /
Delphia's mission is to ensure your data works exclusively for you. We do this by letting people invest their data alongside their money in order to improve their financial returns. Data, in this case, could be anything from someone’s profile characteristics (attributes) to the behavioral streams of data they create when using social media, a credit card, or a smartphone.
We are building a new kind of company that re-thinks the value of privacy, data rights, and fiduciary responsibility in order to ensure your data is always working for you – just like your money.
Whether we're educating you on how your data can be used to make better investment decisions, or identifying future trends, people at Delphia are socially-minded creatives at heart. Our teams are continually iterating, solving hard problems, and collaborating to generate new forms of value and economic returns for our users (we call them “members”, in fact). Working together, we want people to realize the true value of their data – and we're just getting started.
Delphia is a growing (~24 people), multi-disciplinary team located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We began in January 2018 and are graduates of Y Combinator (SF) and the Creative Destruction Lab (Toronto). In 2018 we raised a Seed round (led by Lerer Hippeau & Golden Ventures) as well as a Series A (led by Real Ventures) in 2019.
About this role:
- Oversee a quantitative research team in active long-short strategies for global equities, global credit and global macro investing
- Build and lead a team of machine learning experts in prediction
- Evolve and improve on a proprietary framework for understanding markets and market participants and their expectations
- Work closely with the Data Engineering team to design research systems
- Help guide the curation of proprietary Delphia data for use in prediction
- Mentor junior researchers
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have 15+ years of experience in active management research with at least 5+ years in global equities and 5+ years in multi asset strategies
- Have 5+ years of experience in using and leading teams in nonlinear prediction techniques
- Have a PhD in Finance or STEM
- Have 5+ years of experience in mentoring researchers
- Have experience building a research process that is open and inclusive
- Are creative
- Impact orientated
- Growth mindset
- You are self-directed
- Bias towards action
- Intellectually curious
- Willing to help
As a member of the Delphia team, you will enjoy a variety of perks and benefits such as:
- TTC Accessible: We are conveniently located in the heart of the city at the corner of King and Bathurst. Off of the King Streetcar line (504 King)
- Benefits: Comprehensive Health and Dental Benefits
- Flexibility: Flexible work hours with the ability to work from home when need be
- Investment: Employee Stock Options
- Learning & Development: Tuition Reimbursement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.