Legal Research and Policy Analyst
San Francisco, CA /
Legal & Policy /
At Delta Dental, our strategy is only as strong as the people who execute it! We are hiring individuals that are not just right for today but also for our future. We have built a foundation of high-trust by treating all people with dignity, making and keeping commitments, and consistently striving to do the right thing. Our leaders optimistically share future possibilities to inspire and motivate others toward their full potential. We expect our employees to find ways to embrace positive change, be curious and challenge the status quo, and provide solutions to unmet problems. Joining Delta Dental means joining a culture focused on fostering development, building genuine connections, recognizing each other’s strengths and sharing in successes.
This position is responsible for monitoring, analyzing and summarizing legal research and regulatory activities nationwide and recommending action to support compliance. Utilizing research tools, the incumbent tracks all legal and regulatory developments, identifies items which are enacted or adopted and summarizes the applicable elements of the laws and regulations that have direct impact on the company’s operations. The incumbent coordinates with in-house counsels and the affected enterprise business units to see that enacted legislation and/or regulation is effectively communicated and implemented.
How you will make an impact:
- Researches health insurance legislative and regulatory activity and independently analyzes for applicability and opportunities or necessity for advocacy in the company’s interest.
- Makes recommendations for appropriate reaction/response and coordinates any resulting efforts with support of in-state lobbyist as necessary.
- Prepares analysis of pertinent enacted legislation and/or adopted regulations and seeks in-house counsel review and approval where warranted.
- Works collaboratively with affected enterprise business units and the Risk and Ethics Compliance Department to successfully implement all enacted legislation and regulations.
- Monitors developments at the national and state level with respect to legislation impacting the dental and health industry and related policy issues and collaborates with Public and Government Affairs for any necessary research and coordination of any required advocacy.
- Reviews and drafts contracts, coverage documents, responses to RFPs and other sales and marketing documents with guidance from in-house counsel.
- Maintains the department SharePoint site and other miscellaneous administrative and recordkeeping functions.
What we look for:
- Legal research skills and legal writing skills concerning healthcare as well as policy and advocacy work experience.
- Knowledge of the legislative process.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to evaluate business processes and recommend effective solutions.
- Strong organizational/time management skills and multi-tasking abilities.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint and LEXIS.
- Experience with both process and data-driven structured analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of health insurance and managed care regulations, products, policies and processes or willingness to learn.
- Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- A minimum of three years related experience.
Benefits and perks:
- 12 days starting vacation plus 12 holidays and your birthday off!
- Multiple medical insurance options: 100% paid or low cost premiums
- 100% paid dental insurance
- 100% paid vision insurance
- Onsite gym and/or gym discount and fitness incentive
- Culture of learning: substantial tuition reimbursement to improve your skills
- Career growth: we love promoting from within
- Strong commitment to work/life balance
- Technology allowance
- Social responsibility and volunteer opportunities
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Due to COVID-19, there is an even greater demand for flexibility and change. Due to the pandemic, the expectation around work location for certain roles may be remote until a future date, determined by Delta Dental Management. Should the position you seek be determined by Delta Dental Management as “remote,” the position may require you to have access to remote internet in order to meet the expectations outlined in the job duties.
Please note, Delta Dental will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
At Delta Dental we:
Promote accountability, integrity and collaboration: Our employees are collaborative, self-aware, and ethical. It is our expectation to do the right thing and follow through on commitments.
Foster professional development: Our employees take ownership of developing themselves and others through coaching, mentoring and providing/being open to constructive feedback and identifying learning opportunities.
Value customers and cultivate positive experiences: Our employees take time to build rapport with customers, while anticipating and exceeding their needs to ensure positive outcomes.
If you think this sounds like you, let’s chat. We would love to tell you more!
ABOUT Delta Dental
Delta Dental covers more Americans than any other dental benefits provider. Our vision is to motivate and empower every employee so we’re all inspired to take exceptional care of our customers, providers and each other. Our Enterprise Strategy focuses on pillars of Growth and Diversification, supported by the platforms of Culture and People, Process and Technology. Our employees take pride working for a purpose-driven organization and live our values of Trust, Service, Excellence and Innovation.
We are part of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of companies that provides dental coverage to 74 million people in the U.S. Delta Dental of California, Delta Dental of New York, Inc., Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and Delta Dental Insurance Company, together with our affiliate companies, form one of the nation’s largest dental benefits delivery systems, covering 33 million enrollees. All of our companies are members, or affiliates of members, of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of 39 Delta Dental companies throughout the country.
Delta Dental provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other classification protected by federal or state law. In addition to federal law requirements, Delta Dental complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be provided if selected for hire.