Senior Director of Research & Development Operations
Berkeley, CA /
R&D – Operations /
Demetrix seeks an experienced Senior Director of Research & Development Operations to lead the company's Research Operations groups, including DNA operations, analytical chemistry, high-throughput screening, lab services, and automation. The R&D Operations Senior Director is a senior leader within Demetrix and thrives in a diverse and collaborative work environment. Interacting effectively with peers, functional managers, and senior leadership will drive success. You will develop and implement a vision for the group by recruiting, leading, and managing top talent to anticipate and meet the company's growing needs.
The R&D Operations role is central to enabling the successful and efficient development of Demetrix's microbial engineering pipeline to produce rare natural products that improve human health and wellness. Importantly, this role will identify and implement opportunities to balance operational agility and flexibility, working capacity and excellence, and new technology development and operationalization to accelerate progress within Demetrix.
- Ensuring all R&D operations efforts are aligned with program and corporate priorities and are well communicated
- Maintaining a close, transparent, and collaborative relationship with R&D and Manufacturing program leaders, functional managers, and senior leadership
- Setting and communicating priorities across R&D Operations
- Applying quantitative approaches to planning and managing operations performance
- Developing and maintaining strategy and tactics to ensure achievement of company goals by operational groups
- Maintaining and continuously improving the effectiveness of R&D operations staff and technological capabilities. Identifying and implementing opportunities to sustain and enhance agility, flexibility, functionality, and capacity
- Managing and building high performing teams by attracting, growing, motivating, and developing top talent
- Planning and enabling the short- and long-term technology development vision and strategy to meet the future needs of the organization
- Being an advocate for and adhering to all laboratory safety protocols
- Promoting a positive, collaborative, and inclusive workplace culture
- Ph.D. in a relevant biotechnology field and 8-10+ years of experience leading and building high-performing operational teams in R&D settings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to influence by balance listening and speaking
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and effective management of multiple groups/projects/priorities and ability to solve problems with innovative solutions
- Ability to translate R&D and Manufacturing programs requests and plans and operational analytics information into credible quantitative short- and long-term plans
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting and demonstrate a high level of collaboration and the ability to work broadly across the organization
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on Campus
Calm App Membership
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.
Please note: Demetrix does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Demetrix employees, or any other company location. Any submittals without a prior signed agreement will become property of Demetrix.