Senior Automation Engineer
Berkeley, CA /
R&D – Automation /
You will be a part of the Automation team responsible for identifying and developing next-generation automation tools to enable the company to remain at the leading edge of laboratory automation. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of automation engineers, fermentation engineers, software engineers, analytical chemists, and molecular biologists working to rapidly develop microbial strains to produce natural product medicines. Demetrix is a diverse mix of talented people committed to building an environment where everyone feels welcome and is able to do impactful, meaningful work.
- Design, build, and test liquid handling protocols for various steps of the strain design/build/test pipeline
- Perform electrical/mechanical assemblies of integrated laboratory equipment and automated liquid handling
- Write, debug, and deploy code for cross-communication and data handling of laboratory devices
- Develop, test, and deploy application-specific protocols to ensure safety and accurate performance
- Carry out installation, repair, software loading, and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Perform preventive maintenance functions of laboratory equipment including diagnostics, testing, and cleaning
- Be an advocate for and adhere to all laboratory safety protocols
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture
- 5+ years of experience in liquid handling, laboratory automation, field service or applications, or other related fields
- Experience working with automation scheduling software such as Green Button Go, Overlord, VWorks
- Experience in gathering or creating user requirements and translating them into system requirements and technical specifications
- Experience integrating automation systems with LIMS
- Strong interest and track record working with tools, troubleshooting, and repair
- Positive and enthusiastic team member
- Effective planning, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Growth mindset, curiosity, ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Positive and enthusiastic team member with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- A high level of attention to detail and ability to execute tasks accurately and consistently
- Expertise in Python, C#, F#, or other programming language
- Project management experience and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Experience with high-throughput screening workflows, PCR, and colony picking
A plus, but not required:
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on Campus
Calm App Membership
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.
Please note: Demetrix does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Demetrix employees, or any other company location. Any submittals without a prior signed agreement will become property of Demetrix.