Berkeley, CA /
R&D – High Throughput Screening /
As a member of our High Throughput Screening (HTS) group, you will be part of an interdisciplinary team deploying, operating, and improving methods of strain cultivation, measurement, phenotyping, and analysis that will be used to screen microbes for improved performance in microtiter plates and at scale. You will be responsible for managing the onboarding, operating, monitoring, and improving High Throughput models and will thrive working in many different team environments. You will enjoy seeking out information from many sources to find solutions.
- Close coordination within the HTS team to successfully run and improve HTS operations while also working with automation, analytics, fermentation, strain engineering, and computing
- Identify areas for process improvement and implement strategies to increase quality, throughput, and robustness
- Analyze screening data to both inform the selection of hits for further characterization and to monitor and improve the quality of HTS operations
- Ensure high-quality data generation throughout the process through real-time control tracking/charting and proper assay validation and qualification
- Design, test, validate, and operationalize new screening assays developed within the HTS group
- Onboard new plate based assays from the high throughput process engineering group
- Provide mentorship and career development opportunities to direct reports
- Be an advocate for and adhere to all laboratory safety protocols
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture
- PhD in chemical engineering, microbiology, molecular biology or related discipline with 4+ years of relevant industrial experience, preferably in Synthetic Biology or equivalent experience
- Experience using lab automation (Hamilton, Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable high throughput screening
- Competent in using statistics to strengthen experimental design and enable robust data analysis (JMP, R, Python or similar)
- Demonstrated ability to systematically troubleshoot a problem and systematically improve laboratory operations
- Previous experience managing and mentoring direct reports
- Clear communication and documentation of data and workflows
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on Campus
Calm App Membership
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.
Please note: Demetrix does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Demetrix employees, or any other company location. Any submittals without a prior signed agreement will become property of Demetrix.