Berkeley, CA /
R&D – Downstream Process Development and Scale-Up /
Demetrix is a start-up in the San Francisco Bay area that is making nature’s medicines in a smart and responsible way via synthetic biology. The Staff Engineer will be part of the Downstream Process Development & Scale-Up (DSP) team, with their main responsibilities revolving around the development of robust/scalable processes and supporting these processes as they scale through pilot and manufacturing scale. Knowledge and experience of scale-relevant DSP equipment – as well as scaling processes through pilot and manufacturing scales – is strongly desired. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of fermentation engineers, automation engineers, software engineers, analytical chemists, and molecular biologists working to rapidly develop microbial strains to produce natural product medicines.
- Design, lead and assist in bench/pilot-scale studies to support downstream process development, optimization, characterization and scale-up.
- Design/critique experimental design & investigations based on typical equipment & equipment limitations on pilot & manufacturing scale. Develop predictive scale-up models based on bench-scale data.
- Design, review, process, and report data appropriately. Emphasis on process flow diagrams, yields, mass & energy balances, and cost modeling.
- Conceive ideas to reduce the cost of manufacture of product, develop and implement experimental plans to test and evaluate feasibility of ideas.
- Work with external engineered systems and process equipment partners to design and assess alternative processes and equipment capable of achieving process requirements.
- Support tech transfer of developed processes to allow for scale up at contract research/ manufacturing organizations (CROs/CMOs).
- Interface, coordinate and provide on-site support at CROs/CMOs as required.
- Document experimental studies in reports, datasheet, and presentations and author/edit standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Present experimental work to internal and external collaborators.
- Mentor junior scientists/engineers in bench-scale downstream process development.
- Coordinate with upstream fermentation group for starting material for downstream process development work.
- Travel (Up to 15%) may be required.
- Degree in Biological or Chemical Engineering field.
- 5+ years (Masters) / 8+ years (Bachelors) of relevant industrial experience in downstream process development and/or purification of small molecules from complex matrices (e.g. fermentation broth).
- Experience with tech transfer, CRO/CMO interfacing/support, and scale-up support of established DSP processes required.
- Hands-on experience with wide-range of separation and purification technologies (centrifugation, filtration [both dead-end and cross-flow], liquid-liquid extraction, precipitation, crystallization) desired.
- Experience working with pilot-scale DSP equipment strongly desired.
- Knowledge of computer-based monitoring and control systems is a plus.
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently as required.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management, and communication skills.
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on Campus
Calm App Membership
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.
Please note: Demetrix does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Demetrix employees, or any other company location. Any submittals without a prior signed agreement will become property of Demetrix.