Research Scientist - Neuroscience
At Demiurge, your role will be to discover and to validate law-of-physics-level functional hypotheses of animal brains that generalize across animal species, brain areas and levels of abstractions from state-of-the-art experimental data, resulting in breakthrough development of neuroscience-inspired deep neural network algorithms that could enable mobile robotic applications under data, space, and power constraints.
- Tenure-track assistant professors in experimental neuroscience, computational neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, physics, mathematics, robotics or a related discipline. Exceptional postdocs may be considered.
- One or more publications in Nature, Science, Cell, Neuron, Nature Neuroscience, Elife or other high-impact journals.
- One or more years of state-of-the-art research experiences in at least two of the following areas (cortex, thalamus, basal ganglia, amygdala, hippocampus, superior colliculus, hippocampus, cerebellum, brainstem,etc.) for single or multiple animal species (c.elegans, insects, birds and/or mammals, etc.).
- One or more years of proven experiences in experimental techniques such as behavior, viral/transgenic approaches, two-photon imaging, electrophysiology, for in vivo interrogation of neural circuits or dendrites.
- One or more years of experiences with neural simulators (NEST, NEURON, STEPS, etc.) and data analysis software (MATLAB).
- Capable of working independently and overcoming challenges without supervision while being a team player.
Desired skills and experience
- One or more experiences with interdisciplinary research at the intersection of mathematics and neuroscience.
- Comfortable with both a logic analyzer and a wrench.
- Exceptional ability and track record of developing original and unconventional ideas/theories/models/inventions based on rethinking/reinventing the first principles of single or multiple fields.
Desired personal qualities
- First-principles-based thinking
- Extraordinary composure and integrity in face of dire condition
- Ruthless rationality and candor in the pursuit of knowledge
- Profound empathy and charitableness in the matter of people
- Resilience and fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Described by others as the most radical yet humblest researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Application without a cover letter will not be considered.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.