Research Scientist - Neuroscience
At Demiurge, your role will be developing neuroscience-inspired deep neural network algorithms that could enable mobile robotic applications under data, space, and power constraints.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve neuron models, learning rules and network architectures through literature research, simulation, and robotic experiments.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Postdocs in experimental neuroscience, computational neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, physics, mathematics, robotics or a related discipline. Exceptional PhDs will be considered.
- One or more publications on Nature, Science, Cell, Neuron, Nature Neuroscience, PNAS or other high-impact journals.
- One or more years of research experiences on thalamus, basal ganglia, superior colliculus hippocampus, or dendritic computation on rodents or primates, or counterparts on insects.
- One or more years of proven experiences in experimental techniques such as behavior, viral/transgenic approaches, two-photon imaging, electrophysiology, for in vivo interrogation of neural circuits or dendrites.
- One or more years of experiences with neural simulators (NEST, NEURON, STEPS, etc.) and data analysis software (MATLAB).
- Capable of working independently and overcoming challenges without supervision while being a team player.
Desired skills and experience
- One or more experiences with interdisciplinary research at the intersection of deep learning and neuroscience.
- Comfortable with both a logic analyzer and a wrench.
- Exceptional ability and track record of developing original and unconventional ideas/theories/models/inventions based on rethinking/reinventing the first principles of single or multiple fields.
Desired personal qualities
- First-principles-based thinking
- Extraordinary composure and integrity in face of dire condition
- Ruthless rationality and candor in the pursuit of knowledge
- Profound empathy and charitableness in the matter of people
- Resilience and fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Described by others as the most radical yet humblest researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.