Remote, USA /
At Density, we build one of the most advanced people sensing systems in the world. Density can tell you how many people are in any room in real-time, with very high degrees of accuracy, and without invading privacy. The result of distributing this platform is lower emissions, less waste, better access, safer buildings, and better designed cities. It is a long term pursuit and one we could use your help achieving.
Our people counting solution requires sophisticated hardware paired with our analytics platform. This makes our accounting function a bit more complicated than you might find at the average hardware or software company. We source all of our hardware components and assemble our sensors in house, so there's components to purchase, work in process inventory to track, and cost of goods sold to calculate. Having a precise understanding of our margins is critical as we scale. On the software side there's subscription revenue recognition to manage for a rapidly growing customer base.
We count over 1 million humans per day. Over the next 18 months, we plan to count 100 million every 24 hours. To effectively scale that rapidly we require good data, and we need you to lead an accounting function that ensures we have timely and accurate information to act upon.
This role reports to our VP of Finance.
How you'll make an impact
- Improve, develop, and document key accounting policies for the company
- Ensure GAAP compliance and integrity of all financial data
- Continuously seek opportunities to grow revenues, lower costs, and improve margins
- Develop managerial financial metrics specific to Density
- Evaluate and manage transition to a robust accounting system
- Manage payables, receivables, and internal expenses
- Coordinate with outside auditors when applicable
- Establish foreign subsidiaries as we expand globally
- Build out an accounting team as we grow
- Run our close process every month and provide meaningful analysis on financial trends (variance analysis, spending by team/category, etc)
- Together with the VP of Finance manage a rolling forecast based on actuals and updated operating assumptions
- Management of city, state, and federal tax filings
- Prepare reports for our management team, board of directors, and investors
Why you want this job
- You’ve worked in a number of individual accounting functions and are ready for the next step in your career
- You don’t mind being hands on and want to set the foundation for what will become a well-rounded accounting team
- You enjoy technical accounting, particularly the complexities associated with sourcing and assembling a hardware product
- You’re eager to gain experience with SaaS accounting if you don’t have it already
- You like the startup environment where boundaries between roles sometimes blur
- You like working with good, smart and humble people
- CPA and public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency with standard accounting tools: Bill.com; Expensify, Quickbooks, Netsuite, etc
- Deep experience with inventory accounting
- Ability to interface with all members of the team and a willingness to probe deeply into issues
- You don’t get flustered when plans change - we’re still a small business and like to be nimble