Software Engineering Manager
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works & we are looking for fantastic people to help us do that. Our mission is to simplify shift work, with a future state vision to enable thriving workplaces in every community.
Deputy is a SaaS Workforce Management Product company. HQ'd in Sydney (AU), with offices in London (UK), Atlanta and San Francisco (USA). We’ve helped hundreds of thousands of people across all industries in 70+ countries save time and money managing their hourly workforce so they can focus on what they do best, and be amazing.
Currently, our employees are predominately working from home and this role will also be remote for the time being. We anticipate employees will be returning to the office, in a flexible capacity, during 2021 as appropriate & when it is safe to do so.
Engineering innovation is the fuel that powers Deputy. As a Software Engineering Manager your mission is to take our high performing team to new heights, building a world-class engineering team.
As we are a growth company, you’ll have a strong bias to innovation, growth and adapting to change.
You’ll be a technical mentor and people coach to a team of 10+ software engineers, unleashing and inspiring our teams to solve real-world problems with innovative, elegant solutions with balanced tradeoffs.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- You will lead a wonderfully talented group of software engineers!
- Co-create the technical vision, strategy and technical roadmap planning and product definition for your team, alongside your technical leads and PM/product designer
- Become intimately familiar with our product, languages, and our tech stack to drive decisions about frameworks, architecture and decisions
- Bias towards value creation: guide the team to building innovative, elegant solutions by balancing trade-offs with the best interests of the company. Guide the team on important architectural and long-term engineering decisions, as well as shorter-term tradeoffs. Stay technical to provide meaningful guidance on engineering decisions.
- Drive the scalability and reliability of your squads offering as we grow
- Spending 20% of time on the tools -- writing some code, writing architecture designs, working with infrastructure and quality on tooling for your team, and/or exploring POCs
- Mentor, develop, and guide 10 software engineers so they can do their best work.
- Lead the recruiting of new engineers within your team as we grow and build a world-class, sustainable and diverse engineering team.
- Own the Engineering Team Engagement score (quarterly measure of team engagement), by building upon our interactive, learning-oriented engineering community
Inspiring Technical Manager:
DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS & EXPERIENCE:
- You have 2+ years of software engineering management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- Technical acumen. Ability to converse deeply with engineers and technical executives
- Experience in a fast growing scale-up environment, with a bias to innovation and growth. Bonus points for a multi-tenant SaaS org.
- Growth mindset. We are an early stage company that hasn’t figured it all out yet!
- Humbitious. We are ambitious to aim to make a significant global impact, and build a generational company, while humble enough to know it’ll take lots of hard work, learning from mistakes, and great people
- High agency mindset. High Agency is about finding a way to get what you want, without waiting for conditions to be perfect or otherwise blaming the circumstances. High Agency people either “find a way” in the face of adverse conditions or navigate to reverse the adverse conditions to achieve goals.
- Passion for technology. A nerd at heart, you know the massive leverage and exponential ability innovative technical solutions can have in making an impact in the world.
- Australian Hyper-Growth Startup - Head Office in Sydney
- Raised $111M Series B Round led by IVP, OpenView (our Series A investor), Square Peg Capital and EVP.
- Global Growth across APAC, America and EMEA.
- Share Options
- Paternity/Maternity Leave Policies
- Personal Learning & Development Fund
- Flexible Work Policy
- Company wide Development & Coaching
- Awards - "Your Time to Shine & Celebrate Success"
- Social Events & variety of social clubs (Books, LGBT, Games, Sports)
- Mental Health Support
- Munch & Learns
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works. Since 2008 over 200 million shifts have been rostered on Deputy, in over 90 countries, and across 245 different industries.
We’re making it easier for businesses and teams to roster staff, manage leave, complete payroll and take the admin out of work so that our customers can focus on doing what they love. We hire amazing people to do what they’re best at, and work with some incredible businesses all around the world.
Check out this video: Deputy Explained
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.
Interested? Apply now