Senior Financial Controller
Santa Fe, NM
Descartes Labs is looking for a talented Senior Financial Controller to join our rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate will be responsible for overseeing the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions and the financial services area including Credit, A/R and A/P. They will be responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies, DCAA requirements, SEC requirements and US GAAP.
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversees the general accounting function, which includes inter-company accounting, cash management/reconciliation, financial reporting, balance sheet management (excluding inventory related items), royalty management, and payroll management.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected, and that approvals are conducted in accordance with published controls and approval policies.
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance and support to all company entities. At times, this may include involvement in due diligence and other activities surrounding acquisitions/dispositions.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules. This currently entails a real-time review of each instrument order and its terms for changes needed and determination of proper timing of revenue recognition. Involved significant interaction with Sales and Customer Service groups.
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP. Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Ensures that company financial reports are prepared in compliance with policies and directives, US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Supervises the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales and use, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation. Also, assists Corporate Tax, Treasury and Risk departments and dealing with tax related issues and meeting reporting requirements.
- Ensures that supporting systems are appropriate and operating as required. Involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
- Ensures that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities, noted above. Responsible for continued development of these associates.
- Will have direct management responsibility of following: General Accountants, Controller, Staff Accountant, AP/PR, Payroll, Risk Management/Corporate Insurance.
- Undergraduate Degree in Accounting plus CPA certification.
- Recent, extensive experience with Sage Intacct is a must, experience with Adaptive Insights is a plus.
- 5-10 years of combined Public Accounting and Private Industry accounting experience within a multinational business.
- Experience with international corporate tax is a plus.
- Management experience leading accounting teams.
- Manager experience in public accounting will satisfy experience requirement.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions.
- Experience in analyzing business performance and developing financial plans within a startup, or growth stage, SaaS environment is desirable.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting, required.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Experience with DCAA compliance and government contracts is strongly preferred.