Technical Business Development and Solutions Manager
Descartes Labs Government (DLG) is a dual-use data intelligence company. Through our patented SaaS technology stack, we rapidly prototype data-as-a-service and insights-as-a-service solutions for government customers. By leveraging our AI/ML, data fusion, data analytics, and data science expertise with our patented foundational GEOINT technology, DLG creates solutions that give operational advantage to a variety of mission use cases.
DLG is proud to be a remote-first, distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them.
The Technical and Solutions Business Development Manager (TSBDM) is responsible for growing business in their strategic focus area. The TSBDM will be responsible for the entire business acquisition process for their focus area, to include identifying, shaping, capturing, and closing deals. You will be a key member of the DLG team, leading the charge to get critical, cutting-edge commercial technology into the hands of the people who need it the most.
Top Secret Clearance is required (exceptions can be made for internal applicants).
- Serve as the voice of the customer/market across DLG and leverage that insight to drive strategic growth strategies
- Represent DLG externally at conferences, customer meetings, and networking functions
- Position DLG as a leader in data analytics, data fusion, space situational awareness, alternative position navigation and timing, next generation intelligence surveillance reconnaissance (ISR) and geospatial intelligence
- Work with DLG’s engineering, applied science, and product teams for demonstration activities and to explore the art of the possible for customers
- Cultivate and nurture critical industry and government relationships: Work effectively with customers at all levels of an organization
- Convey complex information in a clear and concise manner to key decision makers, no matter their technical aptitude
- Be a trusted advisor and partner to the customer, as opposed to a vendorIdentify and qualify new business opportunities using a variety of resources (e.g., opportunity boards/databases, personal network, etc.)
- Author whitepaper responses, RFI responses, and proposals
- Work collaboratively across DLG to gather input from key stakeholders (e.g., contracts, engineering/applied science, legal, finance) Lead pursuit and bid decision gate reviews
- Make recommendations to leadership regarding pre-sales, marketing, staffing and proposal resources
- Regularly update and report on your pursuits and opportunities in the opportunity pipeline
- Work collaboratively across all DLG internal teams (e.g. engineering/applied science, product teams) to successfully shape creative, forward leaning solutions and business offerings that address unmet needs of customers within your strategic focus area
- Partner with DLG’s business operations team on any pricing, contracts, and legal needs in support of business development activities
- Coordinate a smooth hand-off of won opportunities to program managers
- Assist the program manager in transitioning their team and the customer to the program execution phase
What You Bring
- 5-15 years government focused business development experience and a track record of successfully winning new business
- Experience in solutions based, complex business deals that involve commercial technology and services elements
- Experience shaping opportunities in both Prime and Sub roles
- A strong network of connections across the traditional and non-traditional defense industrial base as well as the government organizations in your strategic focus area
- Experience with commercial licenses, data rights, and selling commercial based technology into the federal government
- Experience using CRM tools for opportunity pipeline management
- Experience navigating DFAR and FAR policy directives
- Experience in government contracting and direct experience with various contract types (i.e., IDIQ) and contract structures (i.e., FFP, CPFF, etc.)
- Understanding of the government acquisition and budgeting lifecycle
- Technical expertise in at least two of the following: geospatial information systems (GIS), space connectivity, or Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance (ISR)
- Understanding of the customers in your strategic focus area (e.g., Military branches, SOCOM, JSOC, Intelligence Community)
- Top Secret Clearance Preferred
- Possess an open, collaborative, “roll up your sleeves and do it” mentality
- Be a great communicator – both orally and in writing
- Be a Visionary – You have a passion for the government mission and can see how DLG can make a difference and you can convey that vision and help us drive the business forward
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You can navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
- The base salary range for this position is $134,000-$160,000 base salary with a 60/40 split between base salary & on target earnings (uncapped).
- Please note the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level & competencies as well as security clearance.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the governments largest problems. We look at DLG as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a resultWe’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- DLG offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, where employees belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA, and diversity fuels innovation. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.