Applied Scientist - Federal (TS/SCI)
Science and Technology Solutions /
Descartes Labs helps organizations whose success depends on scientific analysis of observable, physical world events. We are the leading provider of geospatial analytics that create actionable intelligence by strengthening our customers’ proprietary data with models of the earth. Our solutions create new sources of environmental sustainability and operational advantage and foresight for agriculture, CPG, mining, and government users by combining machine intelligence and domain expertise into a complete operational solution.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
Descartes Labs is building the geospatial data platform of the future to enable world class analysis at a global scale. In this position, you will work with our internal data science team to build cutting edge solutions for our Federal partners across a range of applications. You will be an advocate for our technology and help transform the way our customers utilize geospatial data in their work.
- Use our archive of satellite imagery, weather data, and other geospatial datasets to develop and build change detection, computer vision, and agricultural monitoring tools and models
- Work closely with our customers and partners to develop data visualization frameworks, interfaces, and tools
- Collaborate with product managers to develop new products, feature datasets, and capabilities relevant to our government customers
- Work with project managers to communicate progress to clients and translate the results of scientific analyses into actionable insights
- Actively participate as a member of a cross-disciplinary team, openly communicating your ideas, insights, and feedback and helping to continuously improve processes
- Collaborate with product managers to develop new products, feature datasets, and capabilities
What You Bring
- Demonstrated background developing deep learning, computer vision, and/or machine learning models in a customer-focused environment
- Experience building and iterating on proof-of-concept level demonstrations to drive customer conversations
- Real-world software experience in Python is required; familiarity with TensorFlow, PyTorch, or another deep learning framework preferred
- Experience working with remote sensing and geospatial data
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to research, develop, and implement solutions to novel problems
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a team
- Degree (BS/MS/PhD) in a relevant field preferred
- Familiarity with cloud-based and/or distributed computing
- Clearance eligible. Existing Secret or TS clearance preferred
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! Nobody checks every box and if your experience and interests match some of the above, we want you to apply.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community, where employees feel they belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.