Business Development & Sales /
Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core. Launching out of Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2014, we build models of the earth to power the analysis of the world's largest physical systems. Our data science and software solutions create new sources of operational advantage for Agriculture, Consumer Packaged Goods, Mining, and Government.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As a Descartes Labs Sales Executive, you will help customers build sustainable, successful businesses by demonstrating the value of our technology and analytics. Working within a specific vertical, you will identify, qualify, negotiate, and close complex deals and drive sales revenue targets, while providing the highest level of customer engagement. You are an expert in building business cases which clearly show value and differentiation at all levels of your potential customer organizations, including C-level executives. Tenacious and results focused, you will close deals through world-class planning and preparation, developing and cultivating relationships with enterprise organizations, as well as be consultative in your approach to solving complex real business problems.
- Achieve revenue targets by prospecting and developing business relationships and leading large, complex sales efforts to make a meaningful difference for our customers
- Develop a deep understanding of prospective customers and the problems they are trying to solve. Communicate the value of our products and services and demonstrate the positive impact for customers
- Effectively negotiate client terms and execution of agreements
- Use strategic sales approaches to plan, develop, prioritize, and critically analyze accounts and priorities
- Collaborate with internal teams in the development and execution of strategic plans to achieve growth, potential, and optimal business partnerships in each account you own; identify resources needed for you to achieve revenue goals
What You Bring
- 5+ years selling complex solutions to enterprise and strategic customers focused on geospatial, remote sensing, machine learning, big data or advanced analytics
- Either direct experience of consumer product goods or supply chain transformation
- Knowledge in one or more of geospatial, remote sensing, machine learning, big data or advanced analytics
- History of creating and maintaining positive relationships with current and prospective clients in consumer product goods
- Consultative approach to selling with experience developing and closing large complex deals including; discovery, building and tailoring value proposition and financial justification to meet customer needs and priorities
- Proven track record and passion for landing new accounts, new logos
- Proven track record of overachieving on sales targets and closing significant deals $1M+
- Ability to collaborate across functions and facilitate discussions in order to achieve desired results
- Open communication and the ability to clearly convey thoughts in order to build credibility and communicate value of the product
- Negotiation and the ability to obtain commitment to a solution or idea, while maintaining integrity and relationships
- Perseverance and a refusal to give-up, approaching everything you do with energy and drive
- An organized and logical approach to solving complex problems, with the ability to look beyond the obvious and understand root causes
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! Nobody checks every box and if your experience and interests match some of the above, we want you to apply.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community, where employees feel they belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.