Sr. Frontend Engineer
Santa Fe, NM or San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
Descartes Labs is trying to better understand our planet by modeling complex systems — such as agriculture — using machine learning and petabytes of satellite imagery. The implications of Descartes Labs are broad — better understanding of global food supply, understanding humanity’s effect on nature, and tracking natural disasters. Ultimately, you will join an organization that is pursuing scientific rigor and knowledge to create a more informed world.
At Descartes Labs, software engineering is the cornerstone of the emerging data revolution. As part of the Frontend Team, you will build web applications that visualize and analyze scientific data.
Our team’s current stack includes React & Typescript, but we recognize the breadth and depth of the current frontend landscape. Whether or not you have experience in a modern frontend framework, we encourage you to apply.
Ultimately, we are looking for engineers who:
Work diligently to improve their craft and understand the cumulative benefit of consistent daily effort.
Share our values of diversity and collaboration. You are ready to generously share your acquired wisdom.
Your coworkers are high impact, low-ego, and have a deep respect for our team members. We expect you to be the same.
- Understanding the habits of high-velocity engineering teams, you will promote best practices while engaging in a complete development lifecycle including:
- Diplomatically facilitates group dialogue related to technical decisions.
- Enthusiastically mentor team members and help unblock barriers.
- Daily standup, sprint planning, paired programming, unit testing, git workflow, code review, and retrospectives.
- Collaborate with colleagues outside your team to initiate solutions.
- Extensive experience shipping software products.
- Solid UI or UX skills, with experience building web interfaces. Consideration for users with varying technical proficiency.
- Experience with server-side concepts, e.g. microservices, database, caching, performance, monitoring, CI/CD and scalability.
- Demonstrated experience scaling teams and promoting positive engineering culture.
Descartes Labs embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.