Applied Scientist (Operations Research)
New York, NY, or Santa Fe, NM or Minneapolis, MN
Are you passionate about leveraging geospatial data to help solve some of the world’s most pressing and challenging scientific questions? Here at Descartes Labs, we ingest and process terabytes of different data sets including satellite imagery, ship tracking data and more allowing our scientists to focus on solving global-scale problems.
Descartes Labs is looking for an Applied Scientist with a focus on operations research and industrial engineering using statistical and machine learning methods.
- Assimilate multiple data sets (public and proprietary, geospatial and transactional) to analyze integrated and complex systems, such as supply chains.
- Optimize global-scale, logistical networks utilizing linear and nonlinear programming
- Leverage a wide array of technical tools to model and simulate: machine learning, signal processing, statistics, finance, risk analysis, and geospatial operations
- Mathematical modeling of markets using stochastic differential equations, hazard functions, and other numerical methods
- Develop novel algorithms for decision making and risk management
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in a relevant field (operations research, industrial engineering, computer sciences, mathematics, statistics, etc.)
- Strong experience with machine learning
- Familiarity with industrial operations and supply chain analysis
- Experience with stochastic (Monte Carlo) models
- Demonstrated proficiency in a scientific programming language (preferably Python)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently; flexible and able to quickly adapt; self-motivated
- Experience with remote sensing and geospatial data
- Experience with numpy, sklearn