PR / Media Relations Specialist
Santa Fe, NM or San Francisco, CA or Denver, Co
Descartes Labs is the first company to offer a geospatial data refinery that combines a highly scalable processing and modeling platform with a multi-petabyte library of public and private data for building predictive models. Our talented team of scientists are recognized leaders in the field, helping enterprise customers create competitive advantage through scientifically validated analytics. We serve hundreds of global companies, governments, and impact organizations around the world - across industries that include agriculture, mining and metals, oil and gas, shipping and logistics, power and renewables, insurance, and more. Customers rely on the Descartes Labs Platform to quickly and securely scale computer vision, statistical, and machine learning models to inform business decisions with powerful raster-based analytics. We are seeking a PR /Media Relations specialist to join our team!
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
We’re headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico and have offices in New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, and Denver.
As the PR/ Media Relations expert you will have an opportunity to build a strong communications foundation and sculpt a PR strategy that excites the press and impresses our customers. Working closely with our Head of Revenue Marketing, you will create strategic storytelling initiatives that drive our brand and category narrative using customer and industry data insights.
- Lead all aspects of our communications and public relations activities with a goal of building our brand as an industry innovator and leader
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and integration of strategic communications plans that advance the Descartes Labs brand identity in the market and increase visibility of PR programs and priorities within the organization and to key stakeholders
- Manage media and analyst relationships, develop creative pitches, press releases/announcements, coordinate our speaking and awards calendars, write blogs, and drive product announcements
- Social media management/monitoring/production: monitor the Descartes Labs Twitter and LinkedIn pages, schedule posts, gauge sentiments of social media topics, watch trends, and look for ways to grow audience through page likes/follows, investigate new social media channels to leverage
- Build executive speaking/media platforms for our key spokespeople
- Build out our internal communications
- Work cross-functionally with Sales, Marketing, Engineering, and Customer Success teams to decide which narratives will empower those teams to be more successful
- Help to foster a healthy and collaborative environment
What You Bring:
- 7+ years experience in communications tole focused on the B2B tech space; agency experience is a plus
- Demonstrated exceptional communication skills with the ability to communicate complex and technical messages in simple terms that different audiences can relate to
- Strong collaborator with a proven ability to work with multiple internal stakeholders to develop and deliver on point messaging internally and externally
- You love the art of storytelling
- You can build ambitious communications plans to reach business and tech outlets
- Great communicator, both verbally and in writing
- A trend-spotter, knowing what stories are resonating with people, how to insert Descartes Labs into timely discussions, and how to capture the imagination of our audiences
- Strong expertise in social media, a demonstrated track record on Twitter and LinkedIn, and a clear understanding of content strategy
- You understand competitive positioning and how to develop a category-creating brand
- A strong point of view and low ego
- Ability to multitask
Our Interview Process:
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Marketing Hiring Manager
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule an additional 30-60 minute interview with an additional member of our Marketing team
- Finally, candidates are invited to interview onsite in Santa Fe with ~5 members of the Marketing team
Links To Recent Press:
- Washington Post: Newly released satellite data reveals the patterns of record warmth in 2019
- LA Times: California Wildfire Map: Active Fires
- Washington Post: Fantastic Fall Foliage and Where to Find it
- WIRED: Every State Should Monitor Methane to Meet Climate Goals
- Medium: Thunder From the Cloud: 40,000 Cores Running in Concert on AWS
- Fortune: These 100 Companies are Leading the way in A.I.
- TechBeacon: How Descartes Labs achieved safe, mission-critical continuous delivery
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs:
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply! Nobody is an expert on all or even any parts of our stack. When you join our team, you will deepen and widen your knowledge as you grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.