Site Reliability Engineer - Federal (TS/SCI)
Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core. Launching out of Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2014, we build models of the earth to power the analysis of the world's largest physical systems. Our data science and software solutions create new sources of operational advantage for Agriculture, Consumer Packaged Goods, Mining, and Government.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As our Federal Site Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining and improving the infrastructure on our geospatial analysis platform, proactively and reactively resolving any technical issues from data ingestion to machine learning model deployment. Your role will include working closely with our federal partners in both classified and unclassified environments, understanding and developing within policies and regulations of our partners and working within our technical team the requirements of our clients.
- Lead the charge for resolving issues in our production, test and dev environments
- Help test and optimize our API’s which encompass our geospatial analytics platform
- Work closely and collaboratively with software engineering to deploy and operate our cloud processing pipeline
- Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring, and operations
What You Bring
- Production workload experience with Kubernetes or distributed systems
- Real-world experience with automation & configuration management (Terraform)
- Experience with modern build systems and CI/CD pipelines (Spinnaker, Drone, Jenkins, etc)
- Strong familiarity with cloud systems (Google Cloud/AWS) and cloud infrastructure
- Proficiency with Linux systems
- Experience with NoSQL or other scalable data stores
- Strong Python experience
- Understanding of best practices for large-scale always-available web services
- An active TS/SCI clearance, or TS/SCI clearable
Our Interview Process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Engineering Hiring Manager
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute paired programming interview with an additional member of our Engineering team
- Finally, candidates are invited to a virtual interview panel with ~5 members of the Engineering team
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! Nobody checks every box and if your experience and interests match some of the above, we want you to apply.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community, where employees feel they belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.