Descartes Labs Government (DLG) is a dual-use data intelligence company. Through our patented SaaS technology stack, we rapidly prototype data-as-a-service and insights-as-a-service solutions for government customers. By leveraging our AI/ML, data fusion, data analytics, and data science expertise with our patented foundational GEOINT technology, DLG creates solutions that give operational advantage to a variety of mission use cases.
DLG is proud to be a remote-first, distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. While embracing a deliberately distributed, 100 percent remote workforce, candidates for this position must reside in the Washington, DC area which will provide them better access to our customers and technology necessary to source for business opportunities. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for everyone.
We are looking for a talented Data Engineer to join our growing engineering team. The ideal candidate for this position brings together strong software engineering skills and cloud infrastructure expertise to ensure smooth and timely delivery of actionable insights to customers, leading data engineering projects from concept to delivery, and ensuring that our platform data refinery is highly available, secure, and well-maintained. This role could become a leadership position as we continue growing together.
Top Secret Clearance is required (exceptions can be made for internal applicants).
- Understand customer needs to understand their problems. Work with your teammates to devise solutions to those problems.
- Work closely with our Innovation team to build pipelines that allows them to focus on rapid prototyping but always having an eye on production.
- Keep our Data Refinery healthy by monitoring and maintaining our data ingest and processing pipelines.
- Always planning and delivering improves to our Data Refinery with faster and more scalable data storage and access.
- Automate existing and develop new processes, such as data backups, security checks, alerts and disaster recovery, to streamline the workflow.
What You Bring:
- A strong working knowledge of AWS cloud services, including but not limited to: RDS, Athena, DynamoDB, ECS, Fargate, EC2, Lambda, Elastic MapReduce, ECR, , S3, IAM, VPC, , AWS Backup, CloudWatch, and CloudTrail
- Proficiency with git and modern distributed version control system practices is required.
- Experience with high performance or large-scale computing infrastructures.
- Knowledge of API development for data administration and serving data to analytics on-demand.
- Able to work efficiently and independently, proactive communicator in a distributed and often asynchronous environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer science, mathematics, or a similar field of study
- 7+ years of work experience in data engineering, software engineering, data science, or a related discipline
- Advanced proficiency developing Python code that's readable, idiomatic, and performant.
Our Tech Stack
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results. Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
- The base salary range for this position is $162,000-$180,000.
- Please note the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level & competencies as well as security clearance.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs Government
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the governments largest problems.
- We look at DLG as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- DLG offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.