Geospatial Data Engineer - Federal (TS/SCI)
Albuquerque, NM or Washington, D.C. /
Descartes Labs is a software and analytics company that enables organizations to understand their relationship with the physical world and use actionable insights to create positive change. We provide a unified modeling platform for spatial, market, sensor, and customer data that generates scientifically validated analytics at a global scale. Headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Descartes Labs has offices across the United States serving customers globally. We are seeking a talented cleared Geospatial Data Engineer to join our growing government team!
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
We need a cleared geospatial data engineer with strong experience building processing pipelines and familiarity with earth observation data. This role will help us build our cloud based supercomputer that currently ingests 10 Terabytes of near real-time geospatial data per day within the requirements of our Federal partners. Our microservices-based platform is developed from the ground up cloud-native, and we see a peak load of nearly billion API calls a day. We aim to supercharge machine learning scientists to ask geospatial and temporal questions not previously possible to understand the changing physical world better.
- Keep our data ingest and processing pipelines up-and-running within security parameters of federal partners in classified and unclassified environments
- Make our data storage and access faster and more scalable
- Work with our science team to build a system that allows them to focus on analysis
- Contribute your own ideas to our machine learning team
What You Bring
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant technical area
- Strong familiarity with Linux systems
- Real-world software experience in Python is required; experience in other languages is also valuable
- Proficiency with git and modern distributed version control system practices is required
- Code examples (preferably on github / bitbucket / etc) are required
- Familiarity with cloud systems (AWS/Google Cloud) and cloud infrastructure is a plus
- Experience with high performance or large scale computing infrastructure
- Experience with geospatial, planetary, or astronomical datasets is valuable
- Existing Secret, TS preferred clearance
Our Interview Process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Engineering Hiring Manager
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule an additional 30-60 minute technical interview with an additional member of our Engineering team
- Finally, candidates are invited to a virtual onsite with ~5 members of the Technical team
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply. Nobody is an expert on all or even parts of our stack. When you join our team you will deepen and widen your knowledge as your grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community and we embrace equal opportunity in a serious way. We strive to be a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.