Santa Fe, NM
Descartes Labs is a fast-growing leader in the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning sectors. We are seeking a Senior Accountant to support the growth of the Company and help ensure the Finance department meets the growing needs of the organization.
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
We’re headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico and have offices in New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, and Denver.
This position is a great opportunity for the qualified candidate to learn all aspects of the accounting for a fast-growing Software as a Service (SaaS) company.
The ideal candidate will have a strong General Accounting background with significant experience in all areas of accounting operations, including overall monthly close, general ledger management, account receivable, accounts payable, and payroll. Candidates must display a propensity for independent learning and professional growth. Technical acuity in Sage Intacct, MS Excel, and other relevant software systems is a must. Candidates will need to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to new responsibilities, accounting needs, and operational changes. The creative and curious are encouraged to apply!
- Full cycle monthly accounting: Prepare journal entries, general ledger accounts research and account reconciliations to include maintaining fixed-asset, prepaid expense, and other relevant balance sheet schedules to further support the month-end close process.
- Accounts Receivable: Process monthly billings for SaaS and related consulting services. Responsible for maintaining contracts in revenue/accounts receivable system to ensure accurate and timely billing, and appropriate revenue recognition. Manage cash receipts, monitor customer payments, and make follow-up collections calls as needed.
- Accounts Payable: Process incoming accounts payable; ensure compliance with relevant contracts, secure approval from contract managers, and reconcile invoice details. Act as a point person for most vendor relationships, establish new vendors in the accounting system, and ensure compliance with IRS reporting requirements.
- Payroll: Overall responsibility for payroll processing, ensure accuracy of information and completeness of management approvals, manage transmittal to outside payroll processing service for timely distribution of funds, reconcile payroll liability accounts, process employee travel, entertainment, and personal expense reimbursements to ensure consistency with expense policy and categorization guidelines, and act as point person for employee questions regarding payroll, reimbursements, and policy questions.
- Other duties as necessary to support the finance department mission.
- As a team member of the Accounting/Finance function you will provide input and feedback to help maximize accounting efficiencies within and outside the department.
What You Bring:
- Bachelors degree in accounting or related field with a minimum of 3 years of accounting experience
- Working knowledge of Sage Intacct or similar cloud-based accounting system, experience with third-party systems integrated directly with Intacct a plus
- Intermediate MS Excel skill
- High degree of accuracy, organization, and attention to detail
- Self starter attitude, clear communicator, and a desire to learn
- Working knowledge of bill.com, Nexonia Expense Reporting, and/or SaaSOptics
- Experience in government accounting: DCAA and FAR knowledge
Our Interview Process:
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Finance Hiring Manager
- Finally, candidates are invited to interview onsite in Santa Fe with 5 members of the Finance and Operations teams
Links To Recent Press:
- Washington Post: Newly released satellite data reveals the patterns of record warmth in 2019
- LA Times: California Wildfire Map: Active Fires
- Washington Post: Fantastic Fall Foliage and Where to Find it
- WIRED: Every State Should Monitor Methane to Meet Climate Goals
- Medium: Thunder From the Cloud: 40,000 Cores Running in Concert on AWS
- Fortune: These 100 Companies are Leading the way in A.I.
- TechBeacon: How Descartes Labs achieved safe, mission-critical continuous delivery
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs:
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply! Nobody is an expert on all or even any parts of our stack. When you join our team, you will deepen and widen your knowledge as you grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.