Descartes Labs Government (DLG) is a dual-use data intelligence company. Through our patented SaaS technology stack, we rapidly prototype data-as-a-service and insights-as-a-service solutions for government customers. By leveraging our AI/ML, data fusion, data analytics, and data science expertise with our patented foundational GEOINT technology, DLG creates solutions that give operational advantage to a variety of mission use cases.
DLG is proud to be a remote-first, distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them.
DLG is seeking an experienced Geospatial Engineer to support the development of next level analytic solutions for our customer base. You will function as the geospatial Subject Matter Expert (SME) responsible for planning and conducting research, providing technical guidance and oversight, contributing to large research efforts, reporting, and presenting results, fostering trusted relationships with customers, and advise on new and evolving technologies and techniques.
Top Secret Clearance is required (exceptions can be made for internal applicants).
This position will utilize, Galileo, our rapid prototyping SaaS technology stack to:
-Use physics-based modeling of remote sensing systems to provide insights into GEOINT capability gaps, mission planning, and resource utilization.
-Develop feature extraction tools to automatically generate world-wide geospatial data on demand.
-Advance the discovery and modeling of associations, trends, patterns, and system dynamics.
-Create processes and algorithms to transform traditional GEOINT and open-source data into spatial-temporal information describing places, events, and activities.
-Combine full spectrum source data with modeling capabilities that associate real world objects to known signatures and doctrines.
-Apply scientific methods across multiple disciplines to advance data and geospatial sciences to develop data analytics through systematic experimentation.
What You Bring:
- The role will primarily utilize Python. Experience with common data science packages, such as Pandas and NumPy, and GIS packages, such as arcpy, is preferred. Lower-level language experience, such as C++, is desired.
- Demonstrable knowledge developing using cloud-based solutions (i.e., AWS, GCP.)Comprehensive knowledge of remote sensing and geographic information systems (GIS) technologies and data formats.
- Knowledge and experience in editing, modifying, and database management of vector and raster geospatial data.
- Authored or co-authored papers, proposals, presentations, and reports on Geospatial Engineering topics.
- Bachelor’s or master’s in geography, computer science, engineering, mathematics, GIS, or a related field.
- 7+ years of professional experience using GIS-related technology in a professional setting.
- Experience with agile development practice, code repositories (i.e., Git), open-source scientific computation, computer vision, modeling, or machine learning tools.
Our Tech Stack
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You can navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
- The base salary range for this position is $162,000-$180,000.
- Please note the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level & competencies as well as security clearance.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs Government
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the governments largest problems. We look at DLG as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- DLG offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.