Applied Scientist Internship
Santa Fe, NM
If you love using innovative technology to tackle tough science problems and working in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment, keep reading to learn more about the Descartes Labs Applied Scientist internship opportunity.
Here at Descartes Labs, we process and store all publicly-available satellite imagery, which spans the entire globe across multiple decades. Our applied science team uses these datasets to better understand our Earth and how it is changing. We are seeking five exceptional students with experience interpreting and processing satellite imagery to join our applied science team during a three-month paid internship based at Descartes Labs’ headquarters in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Over the course of this internship, you will work directly with our dynamic team of applied scientists who can share their deep knowledge of machine learning, remote sensing, climatology, and physics. As an intern, you will learn how to implement novel, cutting-edge remote sensing and machine learning techniques to solve challenging research questions. To efficiently execute your solutions, you will access the Descartes Labs’ imagery archive and cloud-computing resources, and receive mentorship from one of our applied scientists. At the end of the summer, you will present your findings to the broader applied science team and learn more about future career opportunities at Descartes Labs.
- Leverage our Python-based platform to query, access, and manipulate satellite imagery
- Utilize machine learning or other classification techniques to analyze satellite imagery
- Produce clear, concise results (e.g. maps, statistics) for a project that can be completed during the course of the internship
- Candidates must currently be enrolled in an academic degree program in Geography, Earth Science, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related field, within 1 year of completion.
- Experience with Python & Numpy
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with machine learning and image classification
- Proficiency with the following Python packages: numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, keras
- Experience working with satellite imagery and geospatial data
Descartes Labs embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.