Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core. Launching out of Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2014, we build models of the earth to power the analysis of the world's largest physical systems. Our data science and software solutions create new sources of operational advantage for Agriculture, Consumer Packaged Goods, Mining, and Government.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining and improving the infrastructure on our geospatial analysis platform, proactively and reactively resolving any technical issues from data ingestion to machine learning model deployment.
This role has on-call responsibilities.
Minimum Salary: $162,000 USD
- Lead the charge for resolving issues in our production, test and dev environments
- Help test and optimize our API’s which encompass our geospatial analytics platform
- Work closely and collaboratively with software engineering to deploy and operate our cloud processing pipeline
- Improve internal processes
- Mentor newer SREs
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of experience as an SRE or similar role
- Production workload experience with Kubernetes or distributed systems
- Strong organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills
- Strong familiarity with cloud systems and cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Solid software engineering skills, preferably in Python
- Ability to architect scalable, highly available, cloud-native applications
- Real-world experience with automation & configuration management (Terraform)
- Experience with modern build systems and CI/CD pipelines (Spinnaker, Drone, Jenkins, etc)
- Proficiency with Linux systems
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related field
- Experience with big-data platforms (Spark, Hadoop, SQL / noSQL).
- Some knowledge of of machine learning methods and tools
- Experience working with remote team members
Our Tech Stack:
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Git, Bazel, ArgoCD
Who You Are:
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- Free Fridays! - Spend Fridays the way you want, there is no expectation to work! Some of us are in customer-facing roles, or on-call, and may need to be flexible to create great customer experiences, but that should be the exception and not the rule.
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives.
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science.
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result.
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment; Free Fridays, unlimited PTO, remote-firstDescartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; paid holidays, unlimited PTO; monthly WFH stipend.
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, where employees belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA, and diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.