Director of Government Business Development
Descartes Labs seeks a Senior Director of Geospatial Intelligence Business Development to rapidly scale its presence in the Geospatial Intelligence Sector. If you believe you have the strategic foresight, intellectual rigor, drive, and curiosity to shape the rapid growth of a GEOINT industry pioneer, this is the opportunity for you. You are a combination of a strategic thinker, an operational planner, a technically proficient GEOINT professional, and a relentlessly aggressive winner.
Descartes Labs recently validated its technology by shaping then winning a highly competitive contract with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency to deliver Geospatial Intelligence and is immediately looking to maximize that momentum in the near, mid and long term in the GEOINT sector. Descartes Labs delivers a new Machine Learning powered platform that integrates multiple sources of remote sensing data to bring forth a more complete picture of our planet, and therefore an entirely new market. This presents a massive opportunity for growth in the Federal space with customers who have a requirement for geospatial support. The incredible success of Descartes Labs thus far has been enabled by the ingenuity, creativity and conviction of scientists who have designed the latest advancements in satellite imagery, big data, and machine learning. In the last year alone, Descartes Labs closed a $30MM Series B round while closing massive clients to include Cargill (who became an investor) and Airbus.
Descartes Labs is a group of scientists, physicists, mathematicians, and engineers with decades of experience at Los Alamos National Labs and in Silicon Valley. They spent two years building a machine learning platform that transforms immense geospatial data sets into extremely practical business intelligence. The team initially demonstrated the performance of the underlying architecture through multiple proof-of-concept implementations. Now, Descartes Labs has launched this platform via the most demanding of technical evaluators, DARPA, and now to the most important customer on the planet: The United States Government.
You will build direct customer relationships with current and target Federal Clients that span primarily the DOD/IC space and will also serve the FED/CIV sector. You will also build and manage an effective capture team to close existing opportunities adjacent to existing projects and aggressively managing the sales process. The Director of GEOINT BD will be expected not only to shape and close near term contracts across the GEOINT community but also, and most importantly, position Descartes Labs for success for future projects with contract values in the hundreds of millions of dollars. The Director of GEOINT BD will have specific knowledge and success selling to the Intelligence Community, specifically GEOINT stakeholders. You will have brokered the successful introduction of new technology into those Agencies. Additionally, you understand the satellite and remote sensing technology landscape and the needs and mindsets of consumers of satellite imagery (and derived analytics) in government, particularly within the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, The Central Intelligence Agency, and the National Reconnaissance Office as well as greater DoD and Combatant Commands.
You will have successfully closed large scale programs within the IC and DOD, and understand the inner workings of agencies spanning the United States government. You have specific experience with the successful introduction of GIS technology in those Agencies. Additionally, you must understand the satellite and remote sensing technology landscape and the needs and mindsets of consumers of satellite imagery (and derived analytics) in government. The net result of growing business for Descartes Labs for the United States Government is to provide powerful tools for strategic dominance that will protect and defend our National Security.
- Extensive, validated and successful experience winning programs in the Intel Community and Department of Defence of at least 5 million or more employing GEOINT technology
- Absolutely tenacious personality that aggressively pursues new opportunities, shapes opportunities as they are developed and partners with larger companies when it suits Descartes Labs
- Knowledge of GIS technology and contacts in the relevant communities
- TS//SCI Cleared with Active CI Poly
- Based in the Washington DC, Virginia or Maryland areas.
- Ability to build the business through winning contracts in the near term (FY 2019)
- You will have a positive reputation and a strong record of successful past performance winning business within the Intelligence Community and the broader Federal Government as applicable.
- You will be able to quickly master both the technical nuances of how the Descartes Labs platform works and become a partner for our government clients, helping them understand opportunities and respond with forward looking solutions
- You have a strong command of government research projects relating to satellite and remote sensing technology
- You have the ability to guide and lead complex government projects with multiple stakeholders over the lifetime of the relationshipYou have strong communication and translation skills between the customer and your co-workers
- Must be able to translate government requirements to the Descartes technical team while also building a new USG team of support personnel (capture managers, proposal writers etc) to ensure rapid success in building Descartes’ USG presence.
- Win GEOINT business within USG through the relentless pursuit of all opportunities and the aggressive, cunning and decisive mindset that delivers results
- Develop a deep understanding of Descartes Lab’s technology
- Create, share and update a thorough and rigorously thought out listing of any and all GEOINT opportunities within USG and how each will be approached
- Partner with cross functional teams at Descartes Labs - across Sales, Engineering, and Product Management - to achieve project and client relationship goals
- Handle day to day requests and customer issues thoughtfully and quickly, soliciting feedback while maintaining a strong sense of Descartes Labs broader priorities
- Outstanding communication skills, building scalable resources and best practices to train and service customers and end users
- Responsible for key customer success metrics, including project performance indicators, account churn, growth, and renewals
- Come up with creative approaches to satisfy data/analyses needs