Product Division /
Sparrow once was the award-winning product division of DevFacto Consulting and has since spun-off! Craving more? Discover us at https://www.sparrowapp.io/about-us.
Our amazing product team is growing and needs a UX/UI Designer to help make our software look world-class! Do you like the idea of being part of a fantastic startup?
Today, companies struggle with scattered teams and people feeling disconnected. It largely falls on the shoulders of corporate communicators to draw people together, help them be informed about the right things, and to give personality and a voice to the company. Sparrow Connected’s platform makes communicators more effective, efficient, and makes their lives easier so they can reach everyone with a fraction of the effort. We want you to be a part of that.
Right now, we need an intermediate UX/UI Designer based in either Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, with the ability to work from home for the foreseeable future, with occasional face to face meetings.
We are truly a startup which means evolving structure and a need to be self-motivated and driven. We believe in working closely as a team and supporting each other. When a problem is discovered, we all look to help not try to find who to blame. This a rare career opportunity to wrap your arms around a product and transform it.
What will you do?
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer and the rest of the product team to improve the existing user experience across all parts of the Sparrow platform (SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Web, Mobile) and to define all new features;
- Creating UI designs, creating mockups, doing competitive and platform research, and executing those designs so that they can be implemented by the development team;
- Be part of a self-motivated and driven team of professionals dedicated to innovating how organizations stay connected.
General Responsibilities: (Brace yourself, this part’s not exciting)
- Work efficiently, effectively, and well with the rest of the Sparrow Connected team;
- Participate in feature definition activities, providing UX perspective and recommendations;
- Develop wireframes, mock-ups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user centered outcomes;
- Assist the CTO in creating design rationale and specifications;
- Be involved in customer discussions to better understand the customer’s perspective and how that can be transformed into a better user experience;
- Identify design problems and develop the right level of solutions, balancing the product and company’s priorities and needs;
- Champion a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate on proposed designs;
- Creating images, banners, and other user interface artifacts;
- Collaborate effectively with team members and partners;
- Reading through long lists of things that just never seem to end, working under deadlines, and not losing your sense of humor (that’s a joke).
- Relevant degree or diploma for example: Digital Media, Computing Science Degree, etc;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience or can demonstrate designing complex solutions for complete digital applications;
- Proficiency in standard UX software, for example, Sketch, Figma, Adobe XD, OmniGraffle, is necessary;
- Experience and interest in development with React a strong asset;
- Little to no ego;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Sense of humor;
- Ability to deal with vagueness, lack of structure;
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates solutions across a range of user requirements.
What can Sparrow offer you?
- A fantastic and committed team who believes very strongly in supporting each other;
- Group benefits;
- Stock options;
- A reasonable amount of money (hey, we’re a startup, that’s why we have ‘millionaire-making-if-we-grow-like-mad’ options on the table).
Three random things about Sparrow:
- We name all major releases after comic book and anime heroes (e.g. Aquaman, Batwoman, Captain Marvel, Darkwing Duck… Light);
- We have an explicitly supportive culture, whatever part of the rainbow you are most comfortable with, we got you;
- We believe in “not your problem, our problem.” Even if you created an issue, we’re all in this together to fix it. We don’t believe in calling out or blaming;
- We can get excited and end up with 4 things in a list of 3.
Think this may be for you? Really? We weren’t sure anyone was going to get down this far in the job posting. Well, you might as well send your resume in! Who knows what will happen.
BEFORE YOU APPLY, we require a cover letter! We will literally not look at resumes submitted without them. In the cover letter, tell us:
· what about what’s written above appeals to you,
· what you’re hoping to find at Sparrow
· something about you (D&D lover? Like jazz music)?
And we’re growing fast, so if you don’t feel that this is a fit for you, keep an eye on us.
Are you ready for your career to take flight as part of Sparrow? Apply now!