Certified Diabetes Educator
Houston, TX /
Clinical Operations /
A bit about us:
We’re on a mission to change healthcare — how it’s paid for, delivered, experienced. We want to put people center stage, not process or profit. We are guided by a deep belief that every person on Medicare should be treated like we would treat a member of our own family: with loving care and a profound commitment to their health and well-being.
That’s why we’re gathering a whole bunch of smart, big-hearted people to create a new kind of healthcare company — one that combines compassion, health insurance, clinical care, and technology seamlessly.
We want to throw the long ball with people we love for a cause we believe in. Life is short. Join us.
Make a difference... a big difference. You will have the opportunity, in a unique and dynamic culture, to be a part of something incredibly meaningful. We’re a disruptive startup with an inspiring mission. Learn and grow alongside our world-class team of healthcare, technology, and data leaders, dedicated to building a health plan and clinical services that care for everyone like they were our own mothers or fathers. Our team and board members have decades of experience in health policy, clinical services, data and technology. With their support, we look forward to building a health plan and clinical services that will give seniors easy access to the high-quality care they deserve.
A bit more about this role:
Fundamentally, we want to help members navigate the healthcare system in a better and safer way, and we want to empower members to change the trajectory of their chronic diseases for the better. Disease management is critical to achieving this for our diabetic members, and we think certified diabetes educators are the perfect people to do this work.
The diabetes educators will be responsible for a panel of members, who primarily have out-of-control diabetes. The diabetes educators will outreach to members, do detailed assessments, and work with the member to care plans to achieve agreed upon goals. These care plans will include the activities necessary to achieve the goals, such as general disease education, blood sugar monitoring counseling, nutrition counseling, and contingency planning. The certified diabetes educator will partner with the member to complete those activities so that members are able to “graduate” to better managing their diabetes on their own.
A day at Devoted could include:
Reaching out to members with out-of-control diabetes to enroll them in the program and do an initial assessment of member needs and educational opportunities. Following up with members in the program to see how they are doing and to do ongoing disease education. Helping to develop educational materials and protocols for the program.
Attributes to success:
- Member/patient focused: you’re driven to help make dramatic improvements in the lives of the individuals you care for and have a track record of exceptional diabetes management
- Love learning and helping others learn: you’re excited to bring your wisdom and coach members, but you’re equally energized to learn from other’s experience, and then keep improving how Devoted does disease management as we learn more together
- Bring a point of view on what diabetes education and coaching practices work, which may not work as well, and how we can learn more about what does work
- Excited about using quickly improving software and providing suggestions about how to keep making it better
- Comfortable working in an organization that is growing and changing quickly
Skills and experience:
- You are an active Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
- You are actively licensed in your qualifying profession and have at least 2 years of experience working under the qualifying profession (not necessarily related to diabetes)
- Experience in providing clinical care
- You must be willing to obtain a license in a state or states where we operate
Healthcare equality is at the center of Devoted’s mission to treat our members like family. We are committed to a diverse and vibrant workforce. If you lack a specific credential for this position but believe that your strengths and life experiences will propel our mission, we would love to hear from you.
If you love running towards complex challenges and transforming them into solutions, if you want to make a potentially huge impact on many lives, and if you are looking for a disruptive startup with an inspiring and talented team, Devoted Health may be the place for you!
Devoted is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a safe and supportive work environment in which all employees have the opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business. We value diversity and collaboration. Individuals are respected for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in Devoted’s Code of Conduct, our company values and the way we do business.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status, marital status, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.